Advanced search

Making vehicular access to a house with none?

(5 Posts)
PuraVida Fri 10-Dec-10 16:06:00


We have seen a nice house, right area, affordable etc. the only problem is parking and access (yes that's why it is affordable!)

The house is accessed via a footpath between two other house, from a fairly busy road, which has no parking.

To the rear of the property is a BT telephone exchange, surrounded by quite a lot of land (BT owned).

Theoretically if we could purchase a strip of this land it would provide rear access to the property and parking.

How would one go about investigating the feasibility of this? Would the first port of call to be to contact BT? or to speak to the planning department? or something else? i haven't got a clue

and does anyone know if BT would ever / have ever been amenable to selling bits of their land?

and also are there any other issues we would have to consider even if it were possible to buy this bit of land, planning? highways authorities? i don't know, i'm sure it wouldn't be simple but if there is even a glimmer this could be worth pursuing for us.


lovechoc Fri 10-Dec-10 19:18:27

it would probably be less hassle buying another property that does have vehicular access to be honest!

Seriously though, I don't know where you'd start. How about CAB?

jenroy29 Fri 10-Dec-10 20:02:46

You need to get in touch with the land registry to find out BT really do own the land. To give you a bit of hope there have been several former telephone exchanges on tv programs like Homes under the Hammer.
You are actually only after a right of way across the land, aren't you?

1percentawake Fri 10-Dec-10 20:04:24

I have a friend that tried to buy land with an electric pylon on it but couldn't because there has to be a certain radius around it. Depends on how far away it is I guess!

Darnthetum Fri 10-Dec-10 20:05:15

As Jenroy said, see if BT would grant an easement for vehicular access over the land in your favour first. This would be registered on the title deeds, so they couldn't suddenly restrict it. You would have to pay them, but a much better option, and goes with the land, so you can sell it on with the house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: