Talk

Advanced search

brand new build, cracks in skirting boards

(7 Posts)
whitetulips Tue 07-Dec-10 21:02:37

I have a 6 month old new build,and have been very careful with the heating, trickle vents open etc to avoid cracking as much as possible.
I know we will get some in the plaster.
Is it normal for the skirting boards to completely separate from the plaster all the way up the stairs? The wood is now starting to crack itself, not just the plaster where the join is.
Does anyone have any experience on what is acceptable, and what to do next?

lalalonglegs Tue 07-Dec-10 22:27:29

No, this is not normal. Can you get in touch with the builders/developers and ask for them to come and inspect? Is it part of an estate? Can you talk to neighbours to see if they are having similar problems?

If the builders fob you off, I would get an independent surveyor in - as s/he will only be investigating one thing, it's not going to cost that much. I would also consider contacting the NHBC who generally provide the warranties for new builds if you are hmm about the developers.

Ponders Tue 07-Dec-10 22:31:24

skirtings moving away from the plaster is prob not that unusual, but as the wood itself is cracking that sounds like a fault with the wood used.

have you any cracking/movement anywhere else in the house?

lalalonglegs Tue 07-Dec-10 22:35:47

Do you think it's normal after only 6 months? I'd be concerned about it. If the OP has paid a new-build premium, I'd expect the shine to last a bit longer.

Ponders Tue 07-Dec-10 22:38:54

depends on the degree of movement I think - if it's an inch or so then not normal!

but we have a Victorian house & various skirtings have moved 2-4mm from the wall at different times

northerngirl41 Wed 08-Dec-10 22:55:52

If they used cheapo caulk to seal between the plaster and the skirting board it means
1) You had crap joiners/plasterers who couldn't get a good fit in the first place
2) They used cheapo decorators caulk to seal the gap and it's now shrunk.

Happens quite often - report it under the NHBC guarantee or simply go to B&Q and buy a £2 tube.

whitetulips Thu 09-Dec-10 19:05:26

Thanks, I ma going to speak to the neighbours, the draft a letter I think. I expected some cracks, but this would need a whole fix and redecoration, which is not what I would think after his short time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now