Talk

Advanced search

PUtting in new ceiling lights - is it easy?

(6 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Tue 07-Dec-10 18:38:38

I've got three to put in.

An electrician has quoted £100 to do it.

There's no damage or anything like that. It's just taking the old ones out and putting the new ones in on the ceiling.

Is it very tricky and dangerous?

AMumInScotland Tue 07-Dec-10 18:42:31

Not hugely dangerous, as long as you turn the circuit off first! But the tricky bit is attaching the thing to the ceiling. Oh, and trying to join up the wires while balancing the weight of the fitting with your other hand and dropping the screwdriver on the floor halfway through, because you normally have to join up the wires before you can put it onto the ceiling, so you tend to run out of hands.

WinkyWinkola Tue 07-Dec-10 19:48:26

So erm, you reckon I should just pay the electrician?

AMumInScotland Tue 07-Dec-10 20:01:45

It depends how much of a big deal £100 is to you, I suppose. But it's a bit awkward fitting them and I don't think asking £100 for the job is at all unreasonable. My DH does them in our house, and there's a fair amount of swearing and shouting involved, and that's after he's done quite a few of them over the years.

lalalonglegs Tue 07-Dec-10 20:08:06

I consider myself reasonably handy and I made a complete hash of it and managed to electrocute myself twice shock blush.

WinkyWinkola Wed 08-Dec-10 07:40:24

Well, £100 is a big deal but then I don't want to get electrocuted or damage the newly painted ceiling or make a pig's ear of it in general! So I think I'll pay. Thank you for the advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: