Talk

Advanced search

HASTINGS HELP PLEASE!

(13 Posts)
OMaLittle Tue 07-Dec-10 18:35:05

We're going down tomorrow to view some properties (having never even visited before - bold, I know). Would really appreciate some tips on where to go - nice cafe/pub for lunch, schools to observe, roads to drive down, parks to visit. We want to get a balanced impression (for various reasons this is going to be a rushed decision) so want to know where we can see the rougher side of Hastings/St. Leonards too.

Is it best to try and stay over and can anyone recommend a super-cheap OK place with family rooms?

Thanks in advance

OMaLittle Tue 07-Dec-10 19:52:16

bump

PanicMode Tue 07-Dec-10 20:57:59

Sorry, can't help with Hastings itself as we are in T Wells- but a warning if you are commuting into London (it's the same line) - the trains are becoming VERY bad, and the fares are going up 12% in January....eek!

OMaLittle Tue 07-Dec-10 20:58:52

Thank you - and here's me dreaming of a new high-speed link to London, yes, that's likely in the current climate hmm

PanicMode Tue 07-Dec-10 21:02:30

I think that's partly the reason West Kent's lines have become so bad - all of Southeastern's resources are going into the High Speed link from Ashford.....

Anyway, good luck with the househunting!

OMaLittle Tue 07-Dec-10 23:11:43

Thank you. Hopefully the estate agents will have some steers on areas to look at...

OMaLittle Fri 10-Dec-10 18:58:48

We loved it! Esp St Leonards and Old Town. Will probably go back tomorrow. Favourite house was on St. Matthew's Road. Not great for schools by the looks of things, though.

PanicMode Sun 12-Dec-10 19:50:51

So glad you liked it - hope it all works out!

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 12-Dec-10 20:04:12

Hi OMaLittle

I posted all my best advice about Hastings on this thread a couple of weeks ago!!

If you let me know what you are looking for in a property - ie close to schools, Victorian/modern style, close to station etc., and rough budget if you don't mind saying, then I can suggest some good roads to look at, and those to avoid (in addition to those I mentioned on the other thread).

smile

woolymindy Sun 12-Dec-10 20:07:02

Yes, cuppatea posted on my thread about hastings - it was so so useful, thanks so much and OmaLittle, good luck

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 12-Dec-10 20:13:01

Did you find any good houses, wooly?

space2010 Sat 15-Jan-11 00:03:27

Hello

I live and work in St Leonards. St Leonards and Hastings has so much to offer, especially if you have children. The sea, countryside, and the amount of activities they have for families is amazing. In the warmer months there are always a host of events and carnival type days, they celebrate everything and well. Of course it has its problems, where doesn't? There is broad range of people and that what makes the area unique. It's social problems, especially drug issues are no different than Eastbourne and Tunbridge Wells but these towns do not broadcast their problems. If your shopping for clothes, this is poor but Brighton is only a train ride away. There is also a massive arts scene in the area. In my opinion, the Head of Hastings Council needs sacking, the council needs fresh blood that embraces the 21s century. If you look at Ofsted you will see a lot of rapidly improving primary schools in the area. My son attends one of the largest primary schools in St Leonards, both he and I love the school and his wealth of knowledge is teaching me a thing or to and he is only 6! Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions.

XX

LaTristesse Sat 15-Jan-11 08:49:37

I left Hastings 3 years ago to move in with OH nearer London and miss it terribly. The sea, the creative bohemian feel, the old town, the cafes, the pier (RIP), the open spaces, the bikers on Mayday, the bonfire celebrations... it's a brilliant place to live. There are rougher areas of course, but it's easy enough to steer clear of them, and many of the 'stories' you hear about the town are outdated and misrepresentative imho.
Best of luck with your move OP... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now