Talk

Advanced search

Aaagh! Moving on Friday - how packed do we need to be when the van turns up?

(17 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Mon 06-Dec-10 20:49:01

We exchanged today and are moving on Friday. We haven't done any packing yet because the whole process has fallen through several times - I can't believe it's actually gone through!

Anyway, the movers aren't packing for us. Does anyone know what they will expect us to have done when they arrive? Obviously we'll have all our stuff in boxes but should we be dismantling large pieces of furniture before they get here? What about things like large heavy mirrors - can we leave it on the wall until the morning so the kids don't break it or has EVERYTHING got to be packed up and ready?

Oh and is there a 'best' order to pack stuff in? I don't know where to start!

I'm at work every day apart from tomorrow. DH has Thursday off. So not much time! I think I just need some calm focused advice!

domesticslattern Mon 06-Dec-10 20:57:55

Congratulations on exchanging.

You're not going to like my advice Thistle!

Get packing right right now, so that it is all ready to go when they arrive. You will have enough to do when the movers arrive, in terms of showing them what is what/ cleaning/ running around after last minute things you forgot. Try your level best to be all ready when they arrive, otherwise it's going to be stressful beyond belief.

Maybe your packers will dismantle large bits of furniture for you, but ask in advance.

The best order to pack stuff in is room by room, and make sure that you have a separate box with urgent stuff in like the bedding for the first night, kettle, washbags etc. Make sure that box doesn't get packed! (I speak from bitter experience blush).

cat64 Mon 06-Dec-10 21:01:46

Message withdrawn

bigchris Mon 06-Dec-10 21:03:10

Get them to pack for you

ours were so quick they packed the stuff we were planning on taking in the car!

lal123 Mon 06-Dec-10 21:04:50

Pack as much as you can - I made the mistake of thinking we could pack a few bits and pieces on the day - it takes much much longer than you think and it will no doubt piss the removal men off if they have to hang around waiting for you

IHeartKingThistle Mon 06-Dec-10 21:11:36

Lots of wise advice <sigh>

This isn't going to be fun is it?

IHeartKingThistle Mon 06-Dec-10 21:38:04

Forgot to say thanks - thankyou! blush

Fiddledee Mon 06-Dec-10 22:03:59

Most of the time they will dismantle furniture for you and remove heavy mirrors off walls, and do it again at the other side. Everything else needs to be packed before they arrive - but don't forget to leave a box to put in the car with essentials - kettle, mugs, etc... Also do you need to clean your place before you leave - so you need all the cleaning stuff left out and hoover etc?

Depends on how big your house in on whether you can pack in 2 days, I would need closer than 2 weeks.

The removal men will be very pissed off if you aren't all packed. They want to move early and clock off as early as they can, especially on a Friday.

To be honest I would get them to pack (its that much more usually) and use the next 2 days to make sure you have all the utilities in your new house set up and cancelling all the current utilities, redirecting post etc...

moominmarvellous Thu 09-Dec-10 00:38:31

Woohoo! Congratulations! I've been looking out for how your situation turned out - did you get the house you were after originally?

Oh for the day I post a removals thread!

So happy for you - just in time for Christmas grin

northerngirl41 Thu 09-Dec-10 12:09:16

I too think you need to get the packing tape out.

Think camping: you need to camp for 3 days, what do you take? That's the stuff which should remain in overnight bags - kettle, loo roll, mobile phone charger, duvets etc. and it moves with the family, not the van.

Everything else has to be packed. If possible create a packed room where the boxes all go and the kids are not allowed in there. The movers start in there and let you pack the stuff you have inevitably forgotten. All boxes should have coloured tape round them depending on which room you want them to go to in the new house: blue = bedroom1, white = bathroom, red = kitchen etc. That way you can see which boxes are which and the movers don't need to ask you all the time. Put coordinating tape on each room dor at the new house - with floor arrows if necessary!

Fiddledee Thu 09-Dec-10 19:55:07

Coloured tape - good idea but I have 10 rooms I am moving from into 15 rooms - alot of colours. Where can you get multicoloured room tape from. Just curious?

northerngirl41 Thu 09-Dec-10 20:40:47

Staples or electrical suppliers

Wigeon Thu 09-Dec-10 21:09:52

Pack pack pack. We thought we were all packed up but still seemed to spend the whole morning runnign around like headless chickens. And doing last minute cleaning - the kind you can't do until you have packed everything.

You probably don't need to dismantle furniture. Or pack very large mirrors, pictures etc which won't fit in a box. But it makes sense to pile them all up somewhere, rather than leaving them on the wall.

We followed Sarah Beeny's tip re packing boxes - allocate each room in your new house a number (for example, kitchen = number 1), then number each box according to which room you want it taken to (with a big number on each side of each box, in thick marker pen). Easier than coloured tape. Removal men got every box in the right room. Our spare bedroom is still known as "Room 7" and we've lived in our "new" house for a year now!

rebl Thu 09-Dec-10 21:57:31

I was in a similar position this time last year. I called the removal men and asked for them to pack. I was surprised at the price, it was actually really cheap and worth every penny. If you aren't going to do that then get packing now!

ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 09-Dec-10 22:00:13

The extra two or three hundred pounds for a packing service was easily the best money we've ever spent! grin Sorry, not helpful. I hope your move goes well.

Bearcat Sun 12-Dec-10 15:08:03

If they're packing for you, live as you are now and do nothing.
Its a long time sice we moved (18 yrs)but we paid extra for the men to pack for us and it was fantastic.
I had a 5 year and 1 year old at the time, and they even packed the nappy bag with a wet nappy in it into one of the boxes (thank heavens it wasn't a pooey one!)
The only thing my husband packed was the stereo which had about 5 parts to it and DH had all the boxes still in the loft.
He's still a horder as is DS1!

Bearcat Sun 12-Dec-10 15:08:49

Sorry, think you may have already moved!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: