Advanced search

Can anyone suggest a solution to my door knob/handle problem?

(11 Posts)
theyoungvisiter Sun 05-Dec-10 13:47:47

We've just moved house and the new house has horrible door handles.

My heart was set on something like these (well, hopefully a cheaper version thereof) but the current door handles are like these only uglier, - so there is a whacking great hole in the door and everything under the rectangular plate has been horribly hacked about.

I'm wondering how to replace them - I've seen lots of handles with a rectangular cover and a hole for the lock, but no knobs.

Fizzylemonade Sun 05-Dec-10 15:21:46

You usually have a much bigger hole under the handles you actually want grin

Choices are replace the doors, or repair the door with 2 part wood filler. It would depend if you were painting the doors afterwards or having them stained or waxed.

If you want a lock you either have an integral button that you turn or you have to have a separate lock bit underneath the door knob.

purepurple Sun 05-Dec-10 15:24:25

Realistically, you would be better replacing like for like.
You can get wood filler, but it would be a tough job to make it look presentable. I think it would detract from your nice new knobs.
Now, if you were getting new doors, then you could choose any knob/handle you like.

theyoungvisiter Sun 05-Dec-10 15:32:13

the doors are the original Victorian doors so I don't want to replace them if at all avoidable. Aside from the cost they are beautiful and the original features are part of why we bought the house!

They will be painted so I suppose filling might be an option - is it hard to do?

I don't want (or need) a lock at all, so I'd be quite happy filling that bit in with wood filler.

But I can quite see that the easiest DIY solution is like with like. I was hoping someone might know of a hybrid lock-plate-with-knob type product! grin

purepurple Sun 05-Dec-10 15:44:11

Try here
door knobs uk

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 05-Dec-10 15:46:51

Try this company - they also have a technical advice department.
If you get one of those knob/plates, you might be able to switch the actual knob to the ones you like.

earwicga Sun 05-Dec-10 15:48:24

Marking my place as I have been looking for door knobs I like that are affordable for years. Yes, I am that sad!

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 05-Dec-10 15:48:46

I quite like the ones at the bottom of the page I linked to - they suit Victorian, IMO, but I'm probably wrong!

theyoungvisiter Sun 05-Dec-10 15:54:19

oh fab links thank you!

I like this one though [wince] at the price.

I had considered trying to swap the knobs and plates around but came to conclusion it would probably a) look a bit crap and b) cost twice as much.

LunaticFringe Sun 05-Dec-10 16:07:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

theyoungvisiter Sun 05-Dec-10 21:12:17

thanks - this is all fab.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: