Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal not to have heating in the kitchen??

(22 Posts)
eeyore2 Thu 02-Dec-10 10:13:40

Just moved into a rented house for the first time, always owned previously. The kitchen is large with a big table in it and one end of it is patio doors onto the patio garden. There is no heating in there at all - no radiator or underfloor heating (not that I thought there would be underfloor heating but I just checked when I realised no radiator). The landlord says this is normal. Is it?

southeastastra Thu 02-Dec-10 10:15:05

we don't have heating in there. not really needed (but our kitchen is small)

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Thu 02-Dec-10 10:15:34

Can't speak for everyone but my last house had no radiator in the kitchen and neither does this house so would imagine although maybe not normal isn't that unusual either.

My kitchen is warm enough as long as the big walk in fridge sun lounge door is kept shut.

DisparityCausesInstability Thu 02-Dec-10 10:16:13

Not normal in any of the houses I've lived in.

thenightsky Thu 02-Dec-10 10:17:52

Its not normal. Every kitchen I've seen has a radiator. My current kitchen/diner has massive long double radiator. It would be too cold to eat in there otherwise.

purpleturtle Thu 02-Dec-10 10:18:01

Last house had no radiator in kitchen. This one has a tiny radiator. The appliances probably do more of the heating in there though!

Get baking - that'll warm it up a bit. smile

FoundWanting Thu 02-Dec-10 10:20:03

No heating in our kitchen, and bloody miserable it is too.sad

lalalonglegs Thu 02-Dec-10 10:20:58

No heating in my kitchen (but it is very small) - no heating in my last two kitchens either.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 02-Dec-10 10:21:50

I've never had a house with a radiator in the kitchen. Though our current kitchen is open plan with the dining room and there is a radiator in the dining room end.

expatinscotland Thu 02-Dec-10 10:25:23

None in this one, but there was a radiator in the kitchen of the last place we were in.

It's the only place I've lived that had heating in the kitchen, though.

cat64 Thu 02-Dec-10 10:27:37

Message withdrawn

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Thu 02-Dec-10 10:28:13

We have no heating in our kitchen and it's not a problem (except that the floor can be chilly in the mornings - I would love to have UFH). The kitchen is an extension and there is a tiny radiator at thefar end of the room from which the kitchen is knocked through. That room also has patio doors. Yes, youreally feel it in the kitchen if the patio doors are open, but otherwise the kitchen is perfectly comfortable. Boiler, fridge-freezer and stove give off a lot of heat.

greenlotus Thu 02-Dec-10 12:37:45

buy a freestanding electric radiator and plug it in?

nagynolonger Thu 02-Dec-10 12:45:13

DH took the radiator out of our kitchen to make way for an extra fridge. Most of the time I don't miss it. When I'm in there the cooker is usually on and it doesn't feel cold. This week I have used a portable electric radiator.

Francagoestohollywood Thu 02-Dec-10 12:48:04

Not normal, unless you live in Southern Spain or any other Mediterranean country with short and mild winters...

eeyore2 Thu 02-Dec-10 12:48:20

Thank you everyone! I think we will buy an electric radiator and not kick up too much of a fuss.

ChippingIn Thu 02-Dec-10 12:49:49

Why not offer to have another radiator put in instead? It wont cost much more and will be much less cost to use it...

ChippingIn Thu 02-Dec-10 12:50:16

He might even offer to go halves with you if you ask him?

eeyore2 Thu 02-Dec-10 12:52:47

Thanks ChippingIn. Will definitely look into that option.

magicwand Thu 02-Dec-10 13:21:47

I dont have a radiator in my kitchen either. So we have put in a myson kickspace heater in the plinth. http://www.myson.co.uk/products/190_206_enu_html.h tm
Am very happy with it.

rebl Thu 02-Dec-10 13:23:58

We didn't have heating in our kitchen at our old house and you would never have guessed it but it was in the middle of the house, had conservatory coming off it and 3 other doors from other parts of the house. Was always warm in there. We have UFH here and we definatly need it. I think it depends on the house really as to whether you need heat in a kitchen. When you cook it warms up nicely smile.

alypaly Fri 03-Dec-10 17:37:49

used to have a radiator in the kitchen which was great for drying the t towels. had to have it removed when a had my kitchen refitted. wish i had had a plinth heater now. kitchen is really cold in the winter when im not cooking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: