Talk

Advanced search

at what point does me being accommodating turn into my builders taking the piss?

(11 Posts)
AlphaSchmalpha Wed 01-Dec-10 20:07:30

ok the builders have been here forever for nearly 5 weeks (two longer than promised).

in that time the guys working here have:
- taken and used an entire kitchen roll every day
- taken and used loads of J-cloths
- opened up my toolbox in search of an alun key which I had got out for them to remove a shelf - they left the box open and lying on the floor in the utility room. it has saws, hammers etc in it and I have a 3.5yo ds
- helped themselves to stuff from the cleaning cupboard (found a bottle of fabric refresher spray in my study their dedicated tool storage room today, no idea why)
- used at least one loo roll a day (don't object to them using the loo of course but that seems excessive for two people)

They didn't ask about any of this before taking.

Also they have

- cleared up using the hoover I told them not to use. there is an old one for really mucky stuff like plaster dust etc. I was quite explicit about which one to take but no ...
- taken a dust sheet off a set of shelving when I had asked for it to be protected with the result that a lot of books, stationery etc is now coated in dust

- used a whole 1kg packet of sugar in one week (actually not bothered about that, just amused that 2 or 3 people could consume that much sugar)

and finally ...

- asked me to look up directions on the internet to a place they were going

- this morning, asked to use my laptop because they had to make a bank transfer (they are Polish). hmm

They are supposed to be finishing tomorrow (heard that before) and I am not exactly going to sit down with the guy who owns the company and say, ooh take off the price of kitchen roll etc. The quality of their work is really good but I think their attitude takes the piss a bit. Or am I being grumpy and petty? Not sure whether I should recommend them to anyone given quality of work vs annoyance factor.

AlphaSchmalpha Wed 01-Dec-10 20:09:05

sorry, the bit about them being Polish was because they had to make an overseas money transfer asap, not hmming at them actually being Polish!

lalalonglegs Wed 01-Dec-10 20:12:20

It sounds as if they are at least trying to keep the place tidy and I think you are being waaaaay too sensitive about a few rolls of kitchen paper.

AlphaSchmalpha Wed 01-Dec-10 20:21:03

they may be trying to keep the place tidy, they are failing miserably. the hoover thing only happened because I had to have a go at them about clearing up the mess.

accept your point about kitchen roll!

DisparityCausesInstability Wed 01-Dec-10 21:02:29

You are being a wee bit petty. Think you should focus on the fact that they are doing a good job - the rest of the stuff is just white noise to be blocked out....they'll be out of your hair soon.

risingstar Thu 02-Dec-10 12:17:12

OP

You have just had enough of the builders and want them gone dont you?

in this, YANBU, treat your anger at the kitchen roll usuage as a symptom of this

at least their work is good

colditz Thu 02-Dec-10 12:20:51

Firstly, builders wreck your sugar. I have never met a builder who takes fewer than 2 spoons of sugar in tea, and some even take 4. So YABU to expect the sugar not to go.

But everything else, YANBU.

AlphaSchmalpha Thu 02-Dec-10 12:51:47

you are so right, I do want them gone, 2 weeks ago! anyway on the home straight now assuming the last bloke comes this afternoon as promised to finish a couple of small things.

House is filthy, am desperate to get it clean and organise things in my lovely shiny new and exciting bathroom!

northerngirl41 Thu 02-Dec-10 21:31:41

Sounds pretty par for the course. I have given up trying to make the builders be tidy. I just book industrial cleaners to come in behind them. Saves a lot of heartache and hassle.

They are probably nicking the loo roll!!!!

Now, the real problem you have is them running over time. Did they give you a schedule of works? Or can you get them to commit to how long the remaining jobs will take? Say for example, can they get all work in the kitchen/all plastering done for X date?

AlphaSchmalpha Thu 02-Dec-10 21:44:13

I did think they were either nicking the loo roll or perhaps the job over ran because they are spending so long on the toilet with the paper every day.

anyway, they are finished!!! went today. did a great job, looks amazing so better that they did it well rather than rushed I guess.

northerngirl41 Thu 02-Dec-10 23:18:51

YAY!!!! Now go book the cleaners... you know you'll feel better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now