Talk

Advanced search

Building a new house. Cost per sq metre?

(7 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Mon 29-Nov-10 21:27:44

I'm told it's £1k per square metre.

£1.5k per square metre for cellar work.

Does this sound reasonable?

We live in Herts, if that has any bearing.

DisparityCausesInstability Mon 29-Nov-10 22:23:55

I'm paying nearly £3k a square metre for a two storey extension.

WinkyWinkola Tue 30-Nov-10 14:20:18

Eeeek. Disparity, are you having cut glass floors? Blimey.

DisparityCausesInstability Tue 30-Nov-10 14:58:15

No nothing too out of the ordinary - I have only included the builder's work - kitchen & bathrooms are on top of that. Basically work out how much it will cost then multiply by 2 - at least. BTW we're in the South East too.

oricella Tue 30-Nov-10 15:29:49

It really depends on the type of house and how much you are prepared to do yourself; we're doing a highly insulated building, reasonably high-spec glazing (U-value of 1.2), main contractor and possibly some decorating ourselves - and hoping to come in at between £1000-£1100 per square meter

If we would build to current building standards I'm sure we could get that down to £900 or so. These tables are a good starting point - but in the end it will all depend on your design

propercrimbo Tue 30-Nov-10 15:32:46

We just totally renovated and were given a price of £1200 ish psm for an extension, but in the end we didn't extend, just renovated. I assume it's just a rough guide though and depends greatly on spec.
Ours has ended up costing more than that I would think but I haven't worked it out yet

DisparityCausesInstability Tue 30-Nov-10 15:52:24

We're renovating the old bit of the house - which will no doubt have added to the costs but still - all the guides we looked at massively under-estimated the cost.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: