Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a kitchen with "framed" units?

(9 Posts)
notasize10yetbutoneday Mon 29-Nov-10 10:50:44

like this?

We are considering this kitchen but I wanted to get some feedback on the longevity of framed units as opposed to regular ie shaker style doors.

if you have framed units in your kitchen, are you happy with them? Has the quality lasted and would you get them again?

TIA

bounty007 Mon 29-Nov-10 19:53:56

looking for a new kitchen too and don't actually get the difference with framed doors, apart from being more expensive...can someone explain???

Preggersplayspop Mon 29-Nov-10 19:59:30

We have some, I think I just liked the look of them. Don't know about being more or less hard wearing, a door's a door isn't it?

Ours were hand built by a joiner and we picked one that was a bit of a cowboy so they were a complete nightmare to have fitted. They look good and it was good quality in the end though. Overall I am pleased.

Cyb Mon 29-Nov-10 20:04:53

We have an inframe kitchen and I love it, I thik it looks so much more expensive than carcasses with doors that just swing on the hinges.

Chatelaine Mon 29-Nov-10 20:13:04

Look at the picture again. Instead of the term "framed", think, "with grooves". The Grooves are framed iyswim. Grooves = increased grease/dirt traps/collection surfaces which are more labour intensive to keep clean. They are not hand crafted and look naff imho.

greenlotus Mon 29-Nov-10 22:38:30

All I would say is don't have your cupboards too narrow like those narrow ones either side of the ovens in your link. I have this and the 300mm wide ones are evil, the actual opening is under 200mm. I can't fit a saucepan, plate or casserole dish in. You lose a lot of width on drawers too. We have numerous cupboards full of inaccessible wasted space.

Cannot fault the build quality but the design is cr*p.

If it's a proper joiner-built one with big well proportioned cupboards, I'm sure it would be lovely.

TheNextMrsDepp Mon 29-Nov-10 22:50:27

Chatelaine - Framed is nothing to do with the design of the doors. You could have shaker doors with either a framed or frameless style.

If you look at the doors on the link there is a wooden "surround" outside the doors themselves, which is the frame. In a frameless kitchen the doors fit flush to one another, there is no wood showing between two adjacent doors.

But I do agree - keep ledges (i.e. dust traps) to a minimum!

OP, I can't help you on longevity, but I don't see why framed/frameless would be any different. We have a Cooke & Lewis kitchen (but frameless white gloss) and it has lasted well so far. Looks lovely - go for it.

pooka Mon 29-Nov-10 22:59:39

We have a framed kitchen. Chose it because it looked good and was made of solid (though painted) wood.

It has lasted very well. Only about 4 years old now - so still early days. But not a single problem with the doors/hinges/damage to the frame and so on.

Looks as good as new really.

OUrs wasn't exceptionally expensive. From Magnet (the Kuta - not sure if they still make it).

notasize10yetbutoneday Tue 30-Nov-10 09:15:37

Thanks all, much appreciated. As you say, I can't see why they wouldnt be as hard-wearing, but I don't know anyone who has a kitchen in this style so just wanted to check.

Definitely agree on the silly 'filler' cupboards and drawers- waste of space. We are knocking the kitchen, dining room and junk room study into one so it'll be a decent sized space to fill with useful cupboards, I hope!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: