Talk

Advanced search

How much do tilers cost...?! Help!

(9 Posts)
yosammitysam Thu 25-Nov-10 14:07:23

Just been given a quote from a tiler (who is supposed to be cheap and was recommended by the company doing our loft conversion) of £500 to tile approx 12 square metres (probably a bit less) - this doesn't include the tiles or grout which we have to provide. It will be 1 days work for two of them (there are no tiles on the wall currently- we are converting a bedroom) and will be a very simple job of sticking on a load of plain white tiles. This seems really pricey to me- I was expecting more like £200 but I have never used a proffessional tiler before so I have no idea if that's a lot or not....
Am really pushed for time to get more quotes as the bathroom suite will be going in in a week and a bit- I just thought I'd go with this guy as I'd been told he was good and cheap...
Am I being ripped off?? Help???

SpotSplatterSplash Thu 25-Nov-10 15:22:47

Yes that is pretty dear...

I am in Ireland and used to work in a tile providers.

Tilers charged in and around €18 per M2, unless a difficult or specialty material such as natural slate or marble.

I would expect it to be around £200 too, I know my Mum's tiling in the UK was done at pretty much the same rate, so I am not sure as to why it is so expensive.

ItIsILeclerc Fri 26-Nov-10 19:54:14

My little bro is a quantity surveyor and reckons it should be around £21/sq m for trade and around £25-30/sq m domestic, plus another £40 or so for grout, silicone etc. We just had 5 and a bit sq m done for £160 - we supplied tiles, he supplied grout, adhesive, edging etc. Tbh that was a bit more than I expected but apparently was mates' rates as tiler owed my brother a favour.

Get a few more quotes and see how they compare.

ilikeyoursleeves Fri 26-Nov-10 21:47:46

We just got tiling for 17m2: for labour, adhesives and grout it cost £330. A bargain considering another quote for the exact same work was £700!

TheNextMrsDepp Fri 26-Nov-10 21:50:56

You'd be lucky to get it for £200; typically tradesmen charge around £160 per day and you've got two of them!

bacon Sun 28-Nov-10 15:24:05

A good tiler would prob charge £200 per day max.

At the end of the day its day rate whether they do it in 6hrs or 8hrs. To over their costs the min they can charge is £150 each per day.

Offer cash 50% and book price rest 50% at least you'll get it down a bit.

tiler Mon 23-Jan-17 16:04:45

a professional tiler will propably charge around £20 per square metre, but this price is to lay the tiles on a prepared for it wall,
if your walls require preparation then this increase the price drastically obviously,

Boulshired Mon 23-Jan-17 16:35:05

I suppose it is dependent on metre rate or day rate. I know when I had the bathroom floor tiled a few years ago which was 8 square metres was the same price upto 20 square metre. Other tilers were not interested in such a spall job.

HiDBandSIL Tue 24-Jan-17 12:14:52

+1 bacon

Any work I've had done boils down to:
number of days' work (rounded up) x day rate

Which doesn't work out well on small jobs.

I'd get more quotes. Find someone who'll do it by themselves in a day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now