Talk

Advanced search

Good areas to live w/kids in London

(25 Posts)
IguanoMum Thu 25-Nov-10 00:34:20

Are there any child-friendly areas in zones 1 or 2?

soniaweir Thu 25-Nov-10 22:24:58

wandsworth - its not called nappy valley for nothing! although not sure it's zone 2 though, it might be zone3

londonmackem Thu 25-Nov-10 22:26:42

I love Ealing but is zone 3 but only 9 minutes on train to paddington

PatriciaHolm Thu 25-Nov-10 22:48:22

Fulham - zone 2. Not cheap though!

IguanoMum Fri 26-Nov-10 00:07:10

Yeah, I'm currently in Wandsworth, near Northcote, and find it's too far from everything, plus no tube. I also got a bit fed up of the whole Nappy Valley thing, and just seeing mums with young kids (sorry, I know it's a great place, I just don't feel it's right for us).

I am thinking more of the NW, or the West, I know zones 1&2 are more expensive, but Wandsworth isn't cheap either and we're willing to sacrifice space and maybe pay a bit more.

Fulham sounds fine, but for the price, I feel I can get something similar even more central. I also try to avoid the District line, as it's usually closed during weekends.

Areas we are considering:

St Johns Wood
Swiss Cottage
Chalk Farm
Mayda Vale
Kilburn
Edgware Road
Notting Hill
Shepherds Bush
Barons Court
South Kensington
Earls Court
Fulham

I am also curious about Muswell Hill and The Crouch End, since I have read in another post there are many good schools there.

IguanoMum Fri 26-Nov-10 00:12:21

Oh, but the transport seem to be bad too. OK, scratch that.0

TooTiredtoGoogle Fri 26-Nov-10 19:17:55

Tufnell Park ?
Good primary schools, on tube line and lots of bus routes. Secondaries not bad either.
Leafy with Waitrose on Holloway Road and Heath nearby

MonkeySee Fri 26-Nov-10 19:19:18

It depends if you want state or private schools really?

MonkeySee Fri 26-Nov-10 19:20:11

Agree re nappy valley btw...

herhonesty Fri 26-Nov-10 19:50:04

putney if you can afford it.

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Nov-10 19:53:05

Our part of SE London is well catered for with good state and private schools.

Only thing is, it's nappy valley here too!

dinkystinky Fri 26-Nov-10 19:55:00

Queens Park nice - nicer than Kilburn...

LadyBiscuit Fri 26-Nov-10 19:56:14

NW London is great but the schools aren't fabulous. Swiss Cottage/St Johns Wood/Primrose Hill have the best primaries and they are building a new secondary in Swiss Cottage which should really improve things. Crouch End is lovely but zone 3 and no tube which to my mind makes it a bit of a no-no. What about Queen's Park? Gorgeous park and a bit nappy valley but with a more exciting vibe

IguanoMum Fri 26-Nov-10 21:00:53

Found a great flat near Primrose Hill! Affordable! With private garden!!! ;-)))) i'M SO HAPPY!!!!! :-D

Laquitar Fri 26-Nov-10 21:10:36

Near Primrose Hill and affordable? Wow! envy

Lovely area. Enjoy it!

sleepwhenidie Fri 26-Nov-10 22:29:45

Where near Primrose Hill? Sounds amazing!

IguanoMum Fri 26-Nov-10 23:46:40

It's in the part between Primrose Hill and Mornington Crescent - really, really nice! Like I said, we're giving up space for location, but still, it's fairly good sized (for London anyway).

Now I need to get down and do a research on nurseries and primaries in the area. OMG, I feel sooo excited! :-)

dinkystinky Sat 27-Nov-10 13:13:34

State primaries in the area arent great to be honest - there is a lovely nursery in primrose hill that my ex-neighbour's dd used to go to (used to live between primrose hill and belsize park - moved to queens park for primary school and more space).

YuleBeLucky Sat 27-Nov-10 13:15:47

Are you loaded?

You'll have to be for most of those areas! Seriously loaded, too, unless you want to live in a studio flat.

Queen's Park and Kilburn are old faves of mine. I have lived in both areas and like them a lot. Kilburn is 'rougher' than QP, QP 'blander' than Kilburn. Neither are remotely comparable to South Ken or Earl's Court grin. You might want to narrow down your options a bit.

dinkystinky Sat 27-Nov-10 13:21:34

Yule - am currently in kilburn as we're renovating our hovel in queens park and agree that kilburn is rougher - but all the asian shops on kilburn high road are brilliant for sourcing anything you might possibly need at 9pm on a weekday night grin

YuleBeLucky Sat 27-Nov-10 13:45:29

I agree, dinky. I actually prefer Kilburn to QP - good shops, good pubs, bit of life going on - but can see why people prefer QP. It's a bit quieter and centred around the park.

kensal Rise, OP? It's turning into buggy central round there, although again, it's a rough-with-the-smooth type area in many respects.

herhonesty Sat 27-Nov-10 20:07:28

even on a sunny day kilburn is a sh+thole.

TDaDa Sat 27-Nov-10 20:58:07

Can i ask why zones 1 and 2? Is it commuting time or other factors?

IguanoMum Sun 28-Nov-10 13:01:33

Yes, commuting, and also that I like to go walking to places. I just can't stand being all day in public transport, it makes me want to jump in the railway in Anna Karenina's style. ;-)

We've already found a wonderful flat and I'm so happy. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

TDaDa Mon 29-Nov-10 19:03:23

Great and goodluck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now