Talk

Advanced search

Please help- bathroom finish- how good should it be before I pay the plumber?

(11 Posts)
helengardenlady Wed 24-Nov-10 10:45:17

I'm at my wits end about this bathroom! I hired a builder to do everything, and agreed to pay a lot of money. He had great reviews on Checkatrade, and I saw his work before I took him on. However, it has been a nightmare- a flood because they put the pipes in wrong, the decorator didn't use dust sheets and covered everything in white paint, they insisted our shower valve was faulty when it wasn't. The builder has put most things right, and said he would install our shower and box in the toilet for free as compensation. However, now it is all finished, the 'finish' of the room is not good- the sealant is really thick around the shower and taps, and is cracking and yellowing already, they haven't painted underneath the window, there is a lump of white, hard stuff on the tiles in the narrow gap between the bath and wooden sink unit. What shall I do? Are my expectations too high? Thanks

diggingforvictory Wed 24-Nov-10 10:49:20

I would write a list of the faults (a "snagging list") and go through them with the builder one by one. Only pay him once all the issues are crossed off.

lalalonglegs Wed 24-Nov-10 11:10:18

Agree, payment when you are happy with job, if you can get away with it. Legally however, I believe you have to pay for the work done and can only hold back the amount of money it will take to correct the faulty work but I would just refuse to pay unless he starts sending solicitor's letters (unlikely). The reason you employ professionals to do the decoration is that you want a good finish.

helengardenlady Wed 24-Nov-10 11:26:53

Yes, thanks I will do that. I think what I meant was should I let this go as he has done some stuff for 'free'. He has started to get very aggressive when I point things out to him, and I am just wondering if I am being fussy? To me these things look awful, but are they par for the course? I have never has a bathroom fitted before. I really don't know what to do.

lalalonglegs Wed 24-Nov-10 11:50:23

That's what they do, put you on the back foot by making you think that you are being unreasonable. Insist that the work is done to an acceptable standard.

DukesOfTripHazard Wed 24-Nov-10 11:59:58

If it's awful, he needs to sort it, definitely.

nocake Wed 24-Nov-10 12:03:55

Several years ago I had a builder getting stroppy with me because I refused to pay him until he had fixed some problems with the work. It's all bluff and he ended up fixing the problems because he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Make a list of the things that need fixing then make it clear that you won't pay him until they're all done and you're not going to get into an arguement with him over it. The "free" stuff was just compensation for him being crap.

Pannacotta Wed 24-Nov-10 12:08:52

I agree with all the others.
At the risk of sounding sexist, if you have a DH/DP, then try and resolve things with the builder when he is there, if not ask a male friend or neighbour to be there with you.
IME builders are much less likely to be aggressive if there is another man there.

FWIW, I wouldn't be at all happy with what you describe, perhaps see if you can agree to pay him the bulk of the money but hold back roughly what you think it would cost to put it right, perhaps £200-300?

helengardenlady Wed 24-Nov-10 12:41:34

Thanks for all your help! He got aggressive with my boyfriend as well when I tried that tactic, and started swearing and shouting. Generally though, I do think you are right. I think I am going to have to be brave when he comes round on Friday. I have taken photos if he decides to take us to court, and also written down every stage, which I think a lawyer would advise.

Checkatrade Fri 26-Nov-10 00:19:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

notsomumsie Mon 29-Nov-10 14:14:14

Impressed with Checkatrade..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now