Talk

Advanced search

How much did you pay for a new combi boiler?

(17 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 19-Nov-10 23:04:42

sad

Anyone?

twosoups Sat 20-Nov-10 09:51:02

I could be wring, but I don't think you can buy them anymore. I think there was government legislation that all new boilers had to be condensers.

We had a new one 6 years ago (before legisltion) and it cost 2k

comixminx Sat 20-Nov-10 09:57:49

A condensing boiler is a kind of combi boiler as far as I know - unless I'm just being slack on the terminology! Certainly if the OP is using the term as distinct from the sort of boiler that has a big hot water tank then a combi and a condensing boiler are effectively the same.

Mine was probably about the same sort of price - dear, but much more efficient so greener & cheaper to run. Or you could consider solar hot water as an option?

TheHouseofMirth Sat 20-Nov-10 10:06:34

We just had one fitted to replace our old conventional boiler. Including labour, fitting a new flue, 8 thermostatic valves and power flushing the system it cost around £2,500.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 20-Nov-10 11:38:40

Oh crikey.

sad

Is it worth getting one of those British Gas cover maintenance thingies? Boiler hasn't packed up altogether but it deffo needs help.

comixminx Sat 20-Nov-10 11:46:40

I haven't bothered getting a maintenance agreement - it wasn't Brit Gas who installed it but rather a local indie supplier who services it regularly. If it's new it should be under guarantee for a while and if it's regularly serviced it shouldn't go wrong...

TheHouseofMirth Sat 20-Nov-10 17:47:42

You may find BG will not cover it if they suspect it's on its way out.

If you are likely to be replacing an existing combi with a new one then it should be a lot less that £2500 though.

foxinsocks Sat 20-Nov-10 17:51:58

Ours was £2,700 with vat

It includes British gas homecare and servicing for a year (our old boiler is dying! On its last legs).

We had a few people quote and British gas were the most professional and the most competitive quote

Bunbaker Sat 20-Nov-10 17:52:42

We are looking at boilers right now as ours is on its way out. We are covered by BG and the cover has been worth its weight in gold to use, so I don't begrudge the £23 a month we pay. Each time we have called them they have come out the next day and fixed it, but the parts are no longer available.

We will be getting a local (recommended) plumber to install it and I wil let you know how much he is going to charge us when he rings back.

I don't like combi boilers so we are getting a heat only one which will have a 5 year guarantee so we shan't renew the BG contract until that runs out.

Joolyjoolyjoo Sat 20-Nov-10 17:55:48

WE got a combi boiler fitted last year. Ours is a big one and we got it (fitted) for £1550! I checked out the prices to buy the boiler I wanted online, and told the gas fitters that when I called them. i explained I basically was looking for their price to fit it. We had some much higher quotes, but the guy who ended up doing it (who was really good) said he needed the work and cut his price accordingly. So always worth getting a few quotes- they can vary remarkably

shongololo Sat 20-Nov-10 17:56:07

new boiler, power flushing, 15 new thermo rad valves, new flue, labour, £2400.

Warm toastie toes....priceless

DinahRod Sat 20-Nov-10 17:58:17

2.5k with thermostatic valves for a Bosch Combi v. big one (not very technical!) 18m ago but depends on number of radiators/size of house. Used a respected independent heating co., BG always more money.

foxinsocks Sat 20-Nov-10 17:58:48

Should have said our system has a megaflow in it so we had to have a lot more done than just the boiler

BG has a special on at the moment. They had a good boiler for something like £1700 plus homecare.

DinahRod Sat 20-Nov-10 18:00:13

Get Joolyjoo...'s heating engineer to do yours, bargain!

Jojocat Sat 20-Nov-10 19:00:48

We had an engineer round the other day and he said a new boiler would be about £1700.

TheHouseofMirth Sat 20-Nov-10 19:49:34

You have to watch BG. Their "deal"prices do not include any extras and then work out costing a lot more than you planned but also apparently, if you haggle you can get lots off, so worth a try.

Jojocat Wed 24-Nov-10 11:18:24

Have now had formal british gas quote which is £2700. They advertise the cheapest boiler as £1700 but chances are it will come to more as the house of mirth says. We were unable to haggle with our salesman so are getting other quotes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: