Talk

Advanced search

space saving ideas for tiny bathroom

(16 Posts)
danpige Fri 19-Nov-10 21:43:46

We have gone from a huge bathroom to the most tiny bathroom in our new house. The room is around 3x3 meters. There is no bath (which is fine as the on-suite has a bath). So just a shower, toilet and sink. WE need to change the toilet and sink so I'm looking for space saving idea from anyone with a tiny bathroom/shower room. The shower is enclosed and at the moment we are not looking to replace that.

MakemineaGandT Fri 19-Nov-10 21:45:38

3x3 metres?! SOunds large to me for a bathroom........

danpige Fri 19-Nov-10 21:52:05

Maybe my measurements are wrongs, its tiny, at the moment there is just about enough room for a adult and a child to stand up.

Meglet Fri 19-Nov-10 22:00:47

mine is 1.8 x 1.6. It has a slim bath in it too sad. I live in a weird minature house.

Ikea do some slim bathroom cabinets. I also have a over door storage shelf thingy too.

GreatGooglyMoogly Fri 19-Nov-10 22:05:29

Those floating basins are good for small bathroooms.

Milliways Fri 19-Nov-10 22:05:39

We are getting an integrated sink unit with loo from bathstore. Pics don't show our one made up, but they do really good quality space saving units.

Mercedes Fri 19-Nov-10 22:22:10

We managed to squeeze in a small bathroom in our attic. The advice from the architect was get small neat wc's and sinks.We installed an ideal standard round sink that doesn't take up much room but is deep so its really useful. Also make sure the wc doesn't have a handle as it juts out - get a loo with a button - its reduces the visual impact.

Shelf for spare towels over the door.

teta Sat 20-Nov-10 13:40:07

I have just fitted out a small bathroom/shower room downstairs.I used Victoria Plumb 'energy' toilet and wash basin.They are very small and neat [with button] and very reasonably priced.My plumber said the mechanisms were as good as any other more expensive brand.

Indaba Sat 20-Nov-10 13:51:21

1) Get wall slung toilet and basin...ie suspended.....gives illusion of space

2) Any units or cabinets etc should be on feet and not solid on to the floor....again gives illusion of space

3) Generally, use a bigger rather than smaller tile to make a space look bigger.

4) Use bathroom fittings that lie flush with the wall.... eg in a shower you would only see a small knob for temperature and flow....no boxes, pipes etc. For a sink, get discrete taps coming out of wall

5) For a shower, you should use a ceiling suspended head or one coming out of wall but high up and definitely not those that go u and down on a stick.... rather than one on a stick coming out of the wall.

6) Get builder to recess shelves...ie dig out the wall...so shelves don't intrude into the space.

7) Lots of manufacturers make 3/4 size fittings (eg slightly smaller lavs and sinks) which are perfectly fine.

Good luck

Indaba Sat 20-Nov-10 13:53:14

Oh that sounded bossy. sorry. just got back from kids party and a bit frazzled! blush

greenlotus Sat 20-Nov-10 20:18:34

The Ideal Standard Space range is really good and their brochure has lots of ideas for fitting things in. You might even get a small bath in. We have the spacesaving wc in our cloakroom and it's very neat. Don't forget to allow "circulation space" especially if there are tall/big persons in the family!

Link I hope

greenlotus Sat 20-Nov-10 20:20:12

Aha, found the brochure smile

greenlotus Sat 20-Nov-10 20:21:06

No I didn't blush

Space Brochure

Mercedes Sun 21-Nov-10 18:21:39

Looking at the brochure - we've got the narrow basin.
We liked it so much that when we replaced the suite in the main bathroom we put in the narrow one again although we had space for a wider basin. As I said before its deep which we find really useful.

notcitrus Sun 21-Nov-10 18:32:01

Our bathroom is tiny (5x8 foot). We have full size bath with very small lip round it, largish basin slightly over the foot of the bath, and cupboards built round the loo and a flush facing forwards so we can have a big shelf over the loo under the window. The basin has a good-sized back on it for lots of cups/dishes etc, and there's a tall mirrored cabinet over. And a tall radiator/towel rail.

Large white tiles and a stripe of mosaic halfway up - yes it looks very 2005. In retrospect would have put in some wire shelves over the bath for shampoo etc - the tiles are a nightmare to drill through. Also the wooden cupboard unit round the loo was designed and measured and built before the old tiles were removed and all the plaster fell off. Once replastered the room was 1/2 inch smaller which even with not tiling where the cupboards are meant they had to be broken and rebuilt!

Most towels etc are kept in other rooms. If I get a large mesh bag so can hang ds's bath toys from the shower, it should be OK.

danpige Tue 23-Nov-10 19:42:32

Thanks very helpful. I have looked again and showerroom is 1.8 x 1.8 and the shower unit is already build in so very little floor space.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: