Advanced search

Buildings insurance - how does it work?

(6 Posts)
BoBoo Wed 17-Nov-10 12:26:22

It's a requirement of the mortgate that we get buildings insurace. But surely we can't to this until we've bought the house? Do then just expect you to get it in the future and if you don't your in breach of the mortgage terms?

lalalonglegs Wed 17-Nov-10 12:31:22

You are often required to take it out when you exchange contracts. Many lenders will want to see an insurance certificate before exchanging (or get your solicitor to confirm that you have one).

BoBoo Wed 17-Nov-10 12:34:33

Oh, okay. I assume it's pretty quick to get then? I've had a look at some quotes, so hopefully can get it organised pretty quickly. Do you take it out from the exhange date or the date you think you're going to complete by? So many things I have never had to think about before...

lalalonglegs Wed 17-Nov-10 12:52:34

Takes a phone call (am assuming this is for a house not a flat - if flat, the freeholder or equivalent should have insurance already in place).

BoBoo Wed 17-Nov-10 13:11:01

Yes, it's a house. Great - thanks lala.

nocake Wed 17-Nov-10 13:47:08

You should have your insurance in place when you exchange contracts. Most companies can do it instantly but it's worth shopping around to find the best deal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: