Talk

Advanced search

House or location?

(17 Posts)
wanttomove Sun 14-Nov-10 21:18:58

Hi

We are looking to move house. We have been living in a rented house in a part of the country we don't come from (have lived in lots of different places inlcuding overseas for a while) while we decided whether we were staying here and where we want to live.

I had decided, having had children, would like to live in a village. However, my dream village has a village school and at least one shop. These do exist around here - we live in one now - but all we can afford is a small, ex-council type place, which is not really what I want (I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these but my dream is period house with roses around the door).

However, I have seen a gorgeous house in a nearby market town. The house would be perfect - I can even see it being our 'forever house' or at least for a considerable time - but am not sure about the location.

How can I make the right decision over whether it's right for us? The house is but the location ...? Or do I go for the space and nice house and wait for us to be able to afford something a similar sized in a village of our choice?

Any advice / suggestions please gratefully recommended ...

TIA

nameymcnamechange Sun 14-Nov-10 21:22:42

Why do you prefer village life to a market town location?

Actually, why do people want to live in a village full stop?

Do you have a particularly rural lifestyle?
Are you very antisocial?
Do you enjoy having to get in your car to enjoy a change of scene?

It never ceases to amaze me that villages have anyone under the age of 60 living in them at all grin.

wanttomove Sun 14-Nov-10 21:40:07

It's funny, I never lived in villages until I lived here but I like the quiet (I am under 60 I can assure you smile)

OK, you're right I do have to get in my car pretty much every day to do things / see people but I like it. I think I have a romanticised image of 1930's villages where people are all lovely and look out for each other.

A market town isn't so different is it?

nameymcnamechange Sun 14-Nov-10 21:44:10

I think a market town sounds lovely. It just gives you a few more options.

wanttomove Sun 14-Nov-10 21:53:21

It sounds nicer than maybe it is. I have only been there once and although it has some lovely restaurants I am not sure ...

I was sure someone would say go for loation not house lol!

MollieO Sun 14-Nov-10 21:56:20

I live in a village and we have proper shops and everything. Not all villages are places to go and die!

Beamur Sun 14-Nov-10 21:57:06

I'd go for location every time.
I live in a village much like you've just described - it has a good bus service though and you can walk to the nearest bigger town/train station in 20/30 mins. It's only a a mile from the nearer town - however, I think I'd be less keen on a more isolated location, in which case, I'd probably go for a small town instead.
I live in a pretty dull, modern (although spacious and ideal for our family) house in a very pretty village.

1percentawake Sun 14-Nov-10 22:04:03

We went for less than perfect house in a good location - my son was already at the village school and very happy so we decided to go for it and buy the house we were renting.

I would equally love a cottage, with land and roses around the door but realise that this is just not possible here! We have boring 80s house with tiny garden which feels wrong when we live in the country.

However, I quite agree that market towns aren't for everyone and I wouldn't change our decision in choosing location over house smile

Greenshadow Sun 14-Nov-10 22:06:07

Don't know how old your DC are, but would recommend thinking ahead to when they are teenagers and wanting to meet up with friends on a regular basis. We live in a just out of town location and are forever ferrying them back and forward. Would be lovely to have a bus route in to town.

LynetteScavo Sun 14-Nov-10 22:06:25

Location,location,location.

blueshoes Sun 14-Nov-10 22:23:56

If you or your partner have to commute or have children that go to school, location all the way.

When you are retired and children grown, you can think about the house.

selby Mon 15-Nov-10 17:31:32

For me, it'll always be location over house size. The 'better' location will always be easier to sell (unless you intend to never downsize once your children have flown the nest). Less stress wrt schooling and facilities. I live in a market town rather than one of the many villages outside it. You will have to be prepared to chauffeur your kids for miles for swimming lessons and football like some of the other children who share his activities.

PacificDogwood Mon 15-Nov-10 17:36:47

It depends on whether you are looking to protect/increase your investment or whether you are likely to live there for a long time.

We went for large house in very unglamourous suburbs rather than flat in a happening part of the city. We have a busy main street with all shops, small Tesco's in walking distance, train station with 12 min train to the centre of town, kids walk to school and will be able to walk to the rather good secondary state school. For us, it is all good smile.
We had money left to do the house up. Personally, we have not regretted it. And I am not moving again until I go into Sheltered Housing wink....

orienteerer Mon 15-Nov-10 19:09:44

Location........but......much as I would love to live in a rural village I have come to appreciate the benefits of being able to walk into a towngrin

wanttomove Mon 15-Nov-10 20:19:47

Thanks all. I think it is actually the town that the house is in. My support network all live in a particular town and this house is not even there (it's a 45 min drive!)

Need to have a long think I think. I don't find it hard to make friends and the house is lovely but there is still a nagging doubt....

That's telling me something isn't it?

linspins Mon 15-Nov-10 20:45:41

I'd say location, but do also listen to your heart. Keep looking for a bit?

orienteerer Mon 15-Nov-10 21:14:03

When saying location....that means location in relation to your needs. If you have a support network in said town then go for that town......not a village 45 mins away!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: