Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing a sofa

(6 Posts)
BornAgainBokononist Fri 12-Nov-10 18:52:00

Can it be done? confused
I can't afford a new one, this one looks awful, does anyone have any tips? I was thinking Dylon Machine Dye? What size should I buy?
It's a pale grey at the moment, I was thinking bottle green or if all else fails brown.
Please Help!

OFFS Fri 12-Nov-10 18:54:30

I'd be more inclined to invest in a colourful throw.

welshdeb Fri 12-Nov-10 18:56:52

I dyed my cream sofa terracotta brown when I moved it into the kids room. I used dylon machine dyes. I did have to do it in stages and ended up needing more dye than I originally thought I would but overall I think it ended up ok.

BornAgainBokononist Fri 12-Nov-10 19:02:44

I bought a sofa throw on ebay, but when it's on as soon as anyone sits down it comes off the arms which are the scruffiest parts!

seventiescarpet Tue 16-Nov-10 10:19:13

It can be done, but be warned, it's hard work. Make sure you dye it in sections, and weight it carefully.Top tip for weighing-put an empty laundry basket on bathroom scales then reset them to zero then add fabric.Try and dye it in batches of similar size and don't skimp on the dye cos it'll end up looking tye-dyed(I speak from experience!).Make sure the fabric has plenty room to move around in the machine, too. My three seater Ikea sofacover was done in 5 sections. Keep any slightly heavier loads til the end just in case there is any dye residue in the machine between washes. Other than that, easy-peasy smile

seventiescarpet Tue 16-Nov-10 10:21:43

Oh and don't forget to check the fabric composition. If it's synthetic or has a coating on it, it won't take the dye.Check on the dylon website or cut a teeny bit from the hem and do a trial run with the hand dye.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now