Talk

Advanced search

under-stairs storage units please!

(5 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Wed 10-Nov-10 22:09:28

Just moved to a new house and while we love it, it is very different in terms of internal space to our old place. We've gained an extra room (study) downstairs, hence the move, but the living space is a bit smaller. I'm struggling to find somewhere to put DS's toys.

There is a lot of triangular space under the stairs in the hall and I thought I could get one of those sort of 'stepped' units to follow the rise of the stairs (like a child's building bricks IYSWIM) so we'd have a series of square shelves under the stairs, getting taller as the stairs rose above them.

Only problem is, I can't find what I'm looking for! Closest I can find is this from Ikea: Trofast but it just holds a variety of plastic bins, and I'd rather have shelves/open cubes, or a mix of bins and shelves. Or even cupboards with doors. Does anyone know of any alternatives to this basic shape before I go ahead and order the Trofast from Ikea? It'll be on oak flooring but doesn't have to be solid wood itself.

TIA.

Borisismyhousespider Wed 10-Nov-10 22:13:22

Can you get someone to custom make something? do you have anyone in the family whose 'handy' I remember seeing some understair units on wheels that pulled out in 'steps' that went in flush to the original stair wall, on a makeover programme once.

ReshapeWhileDamp Wed 10-Nov-10 22:46:31

Nobody that handy! grin I could ask our friendly local carpenter to make something flush, but it wouldn't be cheap.

Now I come to think of it, if the Trofast thing fits in the space, there's no reason why I can't just have a slab of wood cut to size and slotted in where a bin would slot, so I could have my mixture of storage bins and shelves.

wakeupeverybody Thu 11-Nov-10 15:39:16

You can get shelves to fit into Trofast
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70063584

chillipickle Thu 11-Nov-10 21:11:38

Argos sell this, which gets generally good reviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now