Talk

Advanced search

family of four into 2 bed cottage

(23 Posts)
canwedoit Sun 07-Nov-10 06:53:23

We are having to move quickly as our landlord wants to move back into our home. Currently we are in a four bed. dc's are primary age

We have found a two bed cottage that we love in a very desirable part of town, we love the location.

But trying to work out how we will fit in? The dc's will need their own bedrooms so that is the bedrooms gone grin

There is a small actic accessible with a steep staircase that you could fit two mattresses into (single) as the stairs splits the room in two and/or we could use the sitting room to sleep in.

Is this madness? Has anyone tried and done this and any advice?

It is not long term, and we could afford to rent four bed house further out of town, we just love the house and are planning to de clutter it is just the whole sleeping thing that is keeping me awake at night!

gorionine Sun 07-Nov-10 07:09:45

We are in a two bedroom semi with 4 dcs it is not ideal but it is doablesmile for a short term arrangement not really a problem IMHO.

I would not use the attic as an extra bedroom though ,I think there are some pretty strict fire safety rules about it.

annh Sun 07-Nov-10 08:25:01

If it's just short term, why does it matter whether you love the house or not? You probably won't love it when you have to actually live on top of each other in order to fit in there! Go for the practical option and save yourselves the hassle.

Vine Sun 07-Nov-10 08:36:45

I don't think the attic sounds like a good idea. A mattress with no natural light just because you like the area?? I think it would be practical if it has a seperate lounge and dining room. Short term you can use one of those as a bedroom.

We live in a 2 bed with two DS but they share a bedroom, we have a bedroom and have a sofa bed in the dining room if needed for guests.

mousymouse Sun 07-Nov-10 08:41:02

why can*t the children share a bedroom if it is only for a limited time?

theyoungvisiter Sun 07-Nov-10 08:43:17

If the DCs are primary age why do they need their own bedrooms for a short term let? Or are there 4 children ( ie 6 of you)? I'm confused about your header.

NoahAndTheWhale Sun 07-Nov-10 08:44:12

I have a friend with three children in a two bedroom house. They are fine. How old are your children? Mine are 5 and 6 and do have their own rooms but would share if necessary.

canwedoit Sun 07-Nov-10 08:44:55

Thank you for the replies. The attic does have natural light and a proper but steep staircase off one of the bedrooms.

Sitting room and dining room are seperate.

Go in, small lobby, then straight into sitting room, then small hall with stairs, then door into dining room with galley kitchen off it. Bathroom is off the galley kitchen.

Area is great, hundred yards from a lot of amenities that I currently have to drive dc's to, school will be 1.5 miles away.

theyoungvisiter Sun 07-Nov-10 08:49:26

but I still don't understand why the children have to have separate bedrooms.

Teenagers yes - I can see it's awkward to share. But I have several friends with opposite sex DC sharing under the age of 10/11.

Vine Sun 07-Nov-10 09:07:10

It is a shame about the layout, it would be good if the stairs/hall were from the entrance and the sitting and dining rooms were off the hall. If you set up bedroom in that sitting room and used the diner as a lounge/diner everyone would have to go via your bedroom to get into the house which isn't practical. The loft idea does sound very uncomfortable.

Why do DCs need a seperate room these days (aside from sex)? I shared a room with 2 sisters and don't remember it being a problem or that unusual. Is there some great disadvantage I am causing my 2 DS by having them share a room?

jabberwocky Sun 07-Nov-10 09:20:47

My niece and nephew shared a bedroom for a couple of years at least and it was fine. You can use bunkbeds to save room if that's an issue.

violethill Sun 07-Nov-10 10:37:22

Put the kids in together - own bedrooms are a luxury!

canwedoit Sun 07-Nov-10 15:14:13

They don't have to have their own rooms but they are easier to manage at bedtime etc... if in separate rooms. We have bunkbeds. Dd is always a nightmare if she shares with my ds and it is a looong drawn out process getting them to bed, as cannot put him to bed until she is asleep.

Also they have their own rooms at the mo so would rather suffer inconvenience myself just trying to work out if it would work sleeping in sitting room/attic.

The attic may be a goer for one of them to sleep in as it has a window and a staircase. Just steep stairs and a long way to the downstairs bathroom.

theyoungvisiter Sun 07-Nov-10 16:29:33

Ours were a bit of a nightmare for a while when we first put them in together but now it works really well and they comfort each other in the night etc. It's just a matter of what they're used to.

You might find if you bite the bullet and put up with the disruption for a week or two that they settle into the new arrangement really well and then of course it's a lot easier when you go on holiday and stuff because they're already used to sharing.

My two are a bit younger (primary school and toddler) but if anything, older is easier I think, as they are more open to bribery and reason grin

nameymcnamechange Sun 07-Nov-10 16:33:37

My dd and ds are still sharing now at 9 and 7, even though we have a room available for dd to move in to when she is ready. They have slept in the same room since ds was in a cot and are incredibly close (see cute profile pic for proof smile).

LittleWhiteWolf Sun 07-Nov-10 16:39:10

I think you are creating far too much hassle for yourself. Find a different house IMO. Great for the DCs if they get their own room each, but naff for you and your partner if you're forced to sleep in a living room. The idea of sleeping in an attic might be a thrill to some children, but the novelty will wear off. Plus have you ever spent a long period of time sleeping on a mattress on a cold floor? I have when out bed gave out and we couldnt afford a new one for a few months. The back ache and chill from the floor (and this was in our warmest house!) was a nightmare.

Not worth the area IMO.

scurryfunge Sun 07-Nov-10 16:43:47

Would the loft space conform to fire regs?

I would put the children in one room with a divider if that is possible.

canwedoit Sun 07-Nov-10 17:28:03

what are the fire regs for a loft room?
it has a window and a staircase that leads off a first floor bedroom

scurryfunge Sun 07-Nov-10 17:31:16

I am not sure exactly but you can't generally use a loft space as a bedroom unless properly converted with suitable escape routes and a proper staircase.

scurryfunge Sun 07-Nov-10 17:33:03

some guidance

SleepingLion Sun 07-Nov-10 17:36:49

Either stick the kids in the same room and tell them to stop playing up at bedtime or go for the bigger house.

If it's only for the short term, why does it matter if you love this cottage? - you won't be staying there anyway confused

annh Sun 07-Nov-10 18:20:18

Sleepinglion, I asked the same question but didn't get any answer.

canwedoit Sun 07-Nov-10 18:45:04

Thank you to all of you for the constructive replies. Feeling a bit less stressed about it now, and starting to look moving in time for Christmas smile.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: