Talk

Advanced search

House purchase possibly going to fall through on monday (SOB). It worth looking now for new house or after xmas???

(14 Posts)
tiredemma Sat 06-Nov-10 15:22:25

Utterly depressed. Our vendor is possibly going to pull out of sale on monday, after months of us being fobbed off. We sold our house way back end of september and fortunately have been able to stay in old home as tenants.

Not many houses on the market that meet our criteria or budget, it may be because its coming up to christmas??? (or so i am hoping)- We can stay in this house as long as we give a months notice- not sure if its worth hanging on now until after Xmas in the hope that another 'house of my dreams' goes up for sale.

<sobs into glass of wine>

picklebutty Sat 06-Nov-10 15:32:16

I'm in the position of selling a house - we've been on the market with an internet estate agent since the beginnning of the autumn and though we've had a reasonable response (five or six viewings - all of whom love the house), the people who want our house either haven't sold theirs or can't really afford it (we were under offer and they turned out to be a pair of nobs!).

I'm about to go on with a high-street agent for the winter because I don't think there's going to be much movement until at least January. I don't think much more will come on the market before xmas, to be honest. I usually spot about 10 properties a day new to the market but recently it's been 3 or 4.

I think you've missed the boat for autumn (as have we, I guess) so I'd stay put if I were you !

Fiddledee Sat 06-Nov-10 16:50:56

ours fell through on monday, by friday we had new buyers in rental and all set to go again.

I would look now there are some bargains plus there are lots of chains falling apart. the house we are buying fell through, we were the first to be shown it again and it was never marketed again. Contact the agents and develop a relationship. You are in a very good position.

picklebutty Sat 06-Nov-10 19:31:24

Agree re chains breaking down - The couple who were supposed to be buying ours allowed a chain of five to collapse because they acted like idiots - making an offer that was way below what we wanted, then recinding the offer and trying to knock money off.

The second house in the chain was being bought by a couple expecting a baby at xmas. I feel awful for them.

picklebutty Sat 06-Nov-10 19:32:02

(we were the fourth house in the chain)

happenedagain Sat 06-Nov-10 21:00:55

I would start lookin again now, you can often get a good deal around this time of year. Alot of people put property on after xmas and are hoping to achieve nearly asking price. But now could find something great at a good price...

Good luck... smile

mamatomany Sat 06-Nov-10 21:23:57

January is divorce season, there will be lots on the market.

goldenpeach Sat 06-Nov-10 22:44:27

Ah, LOL mamatomany. I know somebody who bought a house from divorced people and then divorced and had to sell the house. Jinxed?

I'm a buyer but having problems as lending has been squeezed. I'm still looking and I'm sure there are people who are. Xmas, the deadline for my daughter's school, nothing will put me off buying something if it turns up at the price we can afford.

tiredemma Sat 06-Nov-10 22:47:27

I hope and pray to God that it doesnt fall through. Can see nothing else on any wesite that is even remotely appealing

MegBusset Sat 06-Nov-10 22:48:35

I'd definitely keep looking, as you're in a really strong position. We lost our buyer on Monday as they couldn't get a mortgage (we were supposed to exchange next week). So needed another buyer quickly and have sold to a cash buyer.

IHeartKingThistle Sat 06-Nov-10 23:11:25

God it's horrible at the moment isn't it? We've been trying to move since April and are now in our(i think) 4th chain sad.

Not much is coming on, it's true, but you might be able to get a better deal at the moment as there aren't that many buyers either as far as i know. I'd just keep an eye on it - take the pressure off for a bit, if anything turns up it's a bonus.

tiredemma Mon 08-Nov-10 20:56:11

immense relief. its all going through- should be moved by dec1st

im so relieved.

excuse grammer and typing. i have glass of wine in one hand

IHeartKingThistle Mon 08-Nov-10 21:48:19

glad someone's getting a happy ending! smile

well done!

tiredemma Mon 08-Nov-10 21:50:49

thank you x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: