Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of self building. Anyone used Border Oak?

(18 Posts)
PictureThis Mon 20-Sep-10 22:07:19

DH and I have found ourselves in a very fortunate position of possibly being able to build our own home and become mortgage free. I like the look of Border Oak houses and wonder if anyone has any experience of using them.

Sinkingfeeling Mon 20-Sep-10 22:15:06

No, but am very envy

rebl Mon 20-Sep-10 22:28:15

No but there is a beautiful Border Oak house going up on our walk to school. Its so lovely. The frame is up now and I can see how beautiful it is.

PictureThis Mon 20-Sep-10 22:42:11

The houses are beautiful without a doubt and because of that I hope they are a good company to use. It's such a massive undertaking so it's got to be the right company for the job.

frostyfingers Tue 21-Sep-10 08:25:38

One has just gone up near us - it doesn't seem to take long. They are local to us and are very popular, and do seem well made. You lucky thing. There are other good timber frame companies around too which may be as good and less expensive - have a look in some of the homebuilding magazines, can't remember the exact names as I've given up buying them!

PictureThis Tue 21-Sep-10 12:58:57

thanks Frosty I will. This project is very much still in it's infancy so will keep researching. Problem is we've fallen in love with one of the Border Oak designs and nothing else seems to be comparing to it at the moment.

MollysChambers Tue 21-Sep-10 13:04:56

Any kit manufacturer will make you a kit to your own specification. If you have a clear idea of what you want get drawings done and put out to a few manufacturers for a quote.

Fizzylemonade Tue 21-Sep-10 13:56:27

There is a programme with Amanda Lamb called "My Flat Pack Home" it was on one of the property channels on sky, featured about 10 episodes.

One couple used Border Oak.

I can find one episode for you on good old YouTube here

It is quite interesting how fast they go up. There is even an episode with an architect who has self built a few times before.

PictureThis Wed 22-Sep-10 19:41:35

Thanks for the link. I'm off to watch with interest.

wigmorewondermum Tue 08-Mar-11 10:42:51

I believe Border Oak are going to be at the Homebuilding and Renovating Show, at the NEC at the end of the month - I got some free tickets from them, if you give them a call.

I go most years, I think their designs are lovely, to keep dreaming!

One Day!

Monkeytoo Tue 08-Mar-11 14:21:37

There's a lovely one on the market near us at the moment, it's not quite in the right area for us to buy but very nice and beautifully built.

Ponks Tue 08-Mar-11 23:29:29

There was a Grand Designs programme with a Border Oak house - Google Ben & Merry - the house looked fab and really high quality. Am very envious if you are lucky enough to have one of their houses!

Haleyco Wed 27-Apr-11 21:59:06

We have built a border oak home and would thoroughly recommend them. A lovely family company who were a pleasure to work with. I hope your plans come to fruition, please let us know. X

davidwebb1961 Thu 26-Mar-15 07:03:25

Border Oak!! I would avoid at all costs. The craftsmanship is very good, but their sales team must have so much work that they can be rude and arrogant. They fail to reply to your emails and when pushed reply in an unprofessional manner. I really like the product but the people are pants to work with.

RusselK1 Sat 12-Sep-15 12:13:19

Hi David webb, endorsing entirely and exactly with what you have said I have embarked on a border oak build that has really been quite a sickening experience. I would like to hear more of your experiences.

Sunnyshores Sat 12-Sep-15 16:50:47

I think you can spend a weekend in one of their houses. May be an idea to see what the quality is like.

jillwillis Fri 28-Apr-17 22:05:54

Hi, I've recently moved to a new house which has render on the outside and a red tiled roof. I noticed that lots of the Border Oak houses have grey windows, fascia boards and cream render which look so beautiful with the roof. Would you have any idea of the colours Border Oak uses for their windows and render? Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks! Jill

jillwillis Fri 28-Apr-17 22:07:09

Hi, I've recently moved to a new house which has render on the outside and a red tiled roof. I noticed that lots of the Border Oak houses have grey windows, fascia boards and cream render which look so beautiful with the roof. Would you have any idea of the colours Border Oak uses for their windows and render? Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks! Jill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now