Talk

Advanced search

Painter/Decorator/Plasterer- London

(8 Posts)
Mummyisamonster Mon 30-Aug-10 16:40:17

Pleeease can anyone recommend a painter/decorator/plasterer in the East/North East London or Essex area?

I don't feel confident in just plucking one from the yellow pages.

I would be most grateful.
grin

Gomesmum Tue 31-Aug-10 15:49:44

Hi,

I have just posted the same link to someone else but it really is a very good website:

http://www.ratedpeople.com/

Hope you find someone

Mummyisamonster Fri 03-Sep-10 20:26:53

Brilliant, thank you so much Gomesmum

smile

magichomes Fri 03-Sep-10 20:34:07

Never, ever, EVER use someone you've picked straight out of the Yellow Pages. Or worse, someone who's put a flyer through the door.

Good workmen do not advertise - they are recommended by word of mouth and have more work than they can handle.

Ratedpeople is a good site. So is mybuilder.co.uk. So is Problemsolved.

The best way to find a workman: whenever you see any of your friends with a beautiful new kitchen/bathroom/redecoration job, ask them the details of the company that carried out the work, and also whether they were happy during works. (A good job at the end of the day doesn't always mean a happy experience during the process). Then keep their contact details in your address book until you need them.

GrendelsMum Fri 03-Sep-10 20:40:58

Or have a look round to see if you can see any houses with a builder or decorator's sign up. Ideally, look for a while, and you'll start seeing that the same firms appear again and again - this is a good sign. Then knock on the door of the houses and ask if they'd recommend them.

SparkyUK Sat 04-Sep-10 00:44:17

Someone a while ago posted about how there are a bunch of fake reviews (or "reviews" from mates) on those sites so please take them with a grain of salt and go to visit the houses of references to check up!

Mummyisamonster Sat 04-Sep-10 09:31:35

A friend has recommeded someone and I stopped and asked another woman I knew vaguely as they've just had their house done up.

So all at once I've got 3 or 4 reccommended people.

Thanks all! I won't be such a dithehrer next time. smile

Kelky1980 Mon 13-Jun-11 15:26:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now