Talk

Advanced search

Choosing an electric cooker

(7 Posts)
Heartsease Sat 07-Aug-10 21:38:54

I'm choosing a cooker for our new house, and since I have never bought a cooker before I would really appreciate some MN wisdom.

Although I would have loved to have gas, circumstances are such that we need to get an electric cooker. I've always had those solid-ring ones in rented houses, but presumably a ceramic hob will be more responsive? I will also definitely want a fan oven. The slot is only 50cm wide so our options will be significantly limited by that.

I've read the online buying guides in various places so I think I have the basic knowledge sorted, but does anyone have any tips on features/brands to look out for or to avoid?

lalalonglegs Sat 07-Aug-10 22:19:05

I'm in a rented house at the moment with crap oven that only heats up if you turn the timer dial on first. A friend says this is a feature of some of the cheaper electric ovens - complete pain as the timer is only 90 minutes long meaning I have to keep resetting it if I'm cooking a casserole or several things in sequence. Conversely, I'd definitely look for an oven with an electronic timer so you can set it to come on/go off when you're not around.

Heartsease Sat 07-Aug-10 22:30:24

Great points, lala, thanks! I too have suffered from that timer problem you describe, but had managed to forget all about it. A timer would also be a definite bonus.

Heartsease Mon 09-Aug-10 10:05:56

Anyone else got any spare thoughts?

luckylin Sat 06-Oct-12 15:02:06

Am considering buying an elec built-in oven from John Lewis (their own make). Does anyone have any comments regarding effectiveness before I make the purchase please? Looking at customer reviews, they seem to be OK but would like re-assurance from mums used to cooking for family of 4+. Thanks.

TirednessKills Sat 06-Oct-12 18:32:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 06-Oct-12 18:40:09

Luckylin
If you can get an induction hob you will NOT regret it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now