Talk

Advanced search

Idea to save money on kids clarks/startrite shoes....is this stupid or not?

(30 Posts)
makeminealargeoneplease Sat 30-Aug-08 16:41:09

Had an idea while trying to get to sleep in the wee hours last night. I don't know if its really stupid or really good???

You've heard of bookmooch right where people send their read books to people who request their wanted books. Well what do we do with all those shoes that our kids have outgrown? We could list them online and their sizes, maybe with a picture of them. Then someone who needs that very size (once measured at one of the kids shoes shops so as to get the right size) requests it to be sent to them and has the shoes sent to them. Have I explained that ok? You would only be able to request once you have passed on a pair.

I know shoes mold to the wearers feet somewhat but surely secondhand must be better than cheaper brands or shoes that are too small. I know my little ones shoes are worn pretty sparingly and seems a shame to throw them away when they have lots of life left in them and are in good nick.

Your thoughts please? Do you think this would work or is it a rubbish idea?

ThatBigGermanPrison Sat 30-Aug-08 16:47:56

I like that idea - why not put it to MNHQ?

kerryk Sat 30-Aug-08 16:54:40

i think its a good idea.

i have heard that about not wearing 2nd hand shoes but some people really will have no choice.

pinkteddy Sat 30-Aug-08 17:00:19

I think if they are traditional leather school shoes they would need to have been hardly worn. Otherwise they will have become too moulded to their feet and I think would be uncomfortable to wear. We have been given trainers and sandals as hand me downs that dd has worn quite happily. And I have given almost new start rite shoes to charity. On balance a good idea - presume they would be free?

chapstickchick Sat 30-Aug-08 17:00:53

years ago my little half sister walked over very badly on the inside........a old lady told my mum the way to cure this was to find someone the same size who walked over on the outside and swap shoes for week or 2.......well in those days with no internet my mum couldnt find anyone with a similar problem so she took to scouring jumble sales eventually she found some and my sister was forced to wear them - it cured her!!!!

chapstickchick Sat 30-Aug-08 17:01:46

i dont think this was the same woman who also said a cure for a bedwetter was to eat a mouse shockhmm

makeminealargeoneplease Sat 30-Aug-08 17:18:11

Yeah it would all be free, just the sender pays the postage, but in return you would gain 'a point' and be legible to receive a pair for free, I guess actually you could use the same theory for all hardly worn clothes, therefore if you didn't want to spend your 'points' on shoes you wouldn't have to.

Kids clothes go for next to nothing on ebay, its hardly worth the hassle of listing, paying the fees etc. I think this is much better way of getting rid of clothes because you automatically get something useful in return, for nothing. You could do small bundles of clothes in the same size once your LO's have outgrown them. My DD has beautiful dresses that she hasn't actually worn, and my DS wore a beautiful outfit to a wedding and it hasn't been out since...do you get my drift here?

BigGermanPrison, how do I put it to MNHQ?

ThatBigGermanPrison Sat 30-Aug-08 17:28:54

Post it in Site Stuff, and they'l;l get it eventually.

SoupDragon Sat 30-Aug-08 17:32:47

If you can only request once you've passed on a pair, how do you get rid of the very first pair?

makeminealargeoneplease Sat 30-Aug-08 17:53:57

Thanks soupdragon I knew some smart arse would ask that! grin

I guess we could do a freecycle type arrangement where whoever the shoe fits emails and the winner is picked at random?

SoupDragon Sat 30-Aug-08 18:18:36

<<waggles smart arse proudly>>

ilovemydog Sat 30-Aug-08 18:26:09

Sort of like a shoe bank?

makeminealargeoneplease Sat 30-Aug-08 19:18:22

Not really a bank because there wouldn't be a collection of them in one set place, more like a recycling clothes/shoes chain parcel.

thus: MN1 has pair of shoes/clothes that lo has outgrown, lists it and size
MN2: needs a pair of shoes/clothes of the same size contacts MN1 to send them her way, she already has a point from previous 'giving'
MN1 sends it gains 1 point she can now spend it to ask
MN3 who has a pair of shoes/clothes in the right size that LO has outgrown, and so on.....is that making sense?

nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 19:20:26

fab idea

serin Sat 30-Aug-08 21:40:27

grin yep really great idea.

crokky Sat 30-Aug-08 21:42:50

My DS once only had a pair of clarks for 3 weeks. Seriously, they won't go into the shape of his feet in that time!! I used to eBay all his shoes as he was out of them so quickly. Now I am pissed off with eBay for other reasons, I have put the last couple of pairs in the charity shop. So good idea!

penona Sat 30-Aug-08 21:54:11

Have just spent alot of money on first pair of shoes for DD and and was thinking there must be a better way to do this since they'll only last 6 weeks! (And DS will need some too if he ever learns to walk).

I think this sounds a great idea, especially in the early years when they go through clothes so quickly and they are hardly worn.

Were you thinking of doing on this site or on a separate one like readitswapit or something?

Oh, and you can you do it in the next 6 weeks before I have to buy some more shoes for the DTs... please smile

frisbyrat Sun 31-Aug-08 09:03:02

I'd do it. I have Startrite 5F, 6F and 7F just sitting around waiting to see if my friend's dd will need that width fitting, as I want them to have a good home. A mumsnetter would be the next best thing (esp if I got a pair back!)

makeminealargeoneplease Sun 31-Aug-08 09:42:07

I'm glad you like the idea. I've put it on site stuff so I'm hoping MNHQ will pick it up and see if they want to take it forward. Penona I wouldn't know where to start with putting it on a separate website like readitswapit or bookmooch.....anyone in the know? I guess if MNHQ want to roll it then we can see how it takes off on here first. I think the clothes one will be good too because when your DC grow out of clothes you pack up a bundle of the best/least worn and send it on its way to someone who needs it, then in return you get a bundle of the same in your DC's new size, ie get rid of aged 2-3 clothes and get aged 3-4 in return.....for free!

hollyandnoah Sun 31-Aug-08 15:34:47

what a great idea!!! I have lots of great condition shoes that are too small for my ds quick growing feet. I put a few on ebay and for one bid o n them!! So that put me off and my cupboard is quickly overflowing.

shhhh Sun 31-Aug-08 15:48:43

isn't this what the for sale boards are for ....hmm..?

Uusually mners post there if they have shoes or want shoes iykwim.

Good idea for those that can't afford new shoes although I wouldn't buy...

savoycabbage Sun 31-Aug-08 16:04:50

I think it's a good idea. I have got startrite shoes that have hardly been worn as my first dd grew so quickly.

People don't tend to buy them from e-bay and I don't want to throw them away.

makeminealargeoneplease Sun 31-Aug-08 18:32:59

Thanks everyone, keep on to those old items and watch this space. Shhh, yes you can sell things on the for sale boards, but this isn't really selling things, its exchanging items of clothing and shoes in DC outgrown size and getting stuff in their new size in return, for completely free. The only outlay would be about £3.00 or so for postage when you sent your old, outgrown stuff to someone who requests it. Do you get the concept?

TotalChaos Sun 31-Aug-08 18:35:03

good idea! the ones that are still in decent condition would get given away to charity shops anyway

ScoutFinch Mon 01-Sep-08 13:30:54

So what happens if you request a pair, pay postage and then when they arrive they don't fit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now