Talk

Advanced search

Nemo and Stitch Costume only $9.99 and many more bargains

(10 Posts)
nameychange Sun 13-Jul-08 09:48:15

here

here

i've just ordered a baby squirt costume, a stitch costume, a Jessie Hat and Wig and a Disney digital picture viewer for less than £60 inc p and p.

clayre Sun 13-Jul-08 09:56:05

if thats coming from america you'll get hit with a customs and excise bill a few weeks later

nameychange Sun 13-Jul-08 10:36:55

my order was less than $30 which is the threshold, the p n p was more than the stuff!!!

clayre Sun 13-Jul-08 10:55:21

ahh and eek!!! but good thinking, its really depressing thinking your getting a bargin then you get hit with the customs bill a few weeks later

nameychange Sun 13-Jul-08 11:06:33

i know! i even put something back so that i would be under the limit! but the costumes were such bargains, ($7.99, $5.99 and $6.99)it will all depend now what they write on the customs slip attached! hopefully the price i paid!

butwhybutwhy Sun 13-Jul-08 11:40:44

Does anyone know how much customs would be?

I'm thinking of getting the picture viewer too.
It comes to $66 with shipping.

nameychange Sun 13-Jul-08 14:14:15

just looked at my orginal post and that should read $60 not £60!

$66 is approx £35 which is you were charged the max 30% on would be £10. but you should only be charged on the goods and not the p and p.

i found the 30% thing by googling!

nameychange Sun 13-Jul-08 14:24:39

just found this on money sving expert

Customs duty.

Customs duty is a tax on imports for which goods coming into the UK from non-EU countries are eligible. You'll only be charged this if the tax calculated comes to over £7. The amount of the duty depends on the category of goods; some electrical items, for example, digital cameras, laptops, mobiles and games consoles like Wii/ Xbox360 are duty free. A full categorised list is available at HMRC site.

For expensive items, get an estimate of customs prices by calling HM Revenue & Customs’ National Advice Service directly on 0845 010 9000 or, if calling from abroad, +44 (0) 208 929 0152 .

Import VAT on goods over £18.

Separate to customs duty you’ll also need to cough up 17.5% on goods costing £18 and more (including shipping charges), or if you can prove the item’s a gift, the threshold's £36. It’s important to understand the VAT is on the full amount, not just the excess over the limit.

HMRC deems it a gift if: it's from an individual to an individual, is for the private use of you or your family, there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly.

Customs clearance charges.

When shopping online from the UK, if there are duty and/or VAT charges, the delivery company will pay this on your behalf and reclaim the funds from you before delivering your parcel, plus charge a handling fee on top. Fees vary depending on the company; but usually are between £8 and £14. These can be charged at a later date so watch out and be careful.

butwhybutwhy Mon 14-Jul-08 09:30:38

Thanks nc.

I put the thing in my basket and checked out to get the full postage costs, showed dh and he said it was crap lol.

So we wont be buying it, but I am going to save it into my favourites just in case.

squilly Mon 14-Jul-08 22:06:35

The Disney store USA uses a courier that charges £11 as soon as you get selected pay tax. That's £11 on top of your taxation charge, just for their admin! shock

I got walloped with a £47 tax bill after buying a bundle of stuff for dd from the Club Penguin site. That'll learn me!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now