Talk

Advanced search

I know it's been said before but.......Lidl....

(30 Posts)
ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jul-08 12:04:24

...bargain city, especially for fruit and veg.

Carmenere Thu 10-Jul-08 12:05:40

Yes, avocados 20 pence, bags of onions 20 pence. Anyone who doesn't shop there is crazy.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 10-Jul-08 12:06:48

Or doesn't have one close by.

I want one!

lackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Jul-08 12:10:08

I did a shop there on Monday and there were only two things on my list that I couldn't get. I then did a comparitive shop in Sainsbury's when I got back and JS were 33% more expensive than Lidl. We had some of the sausages and mince and it was all absolutely fine. I thought the onions were a bit soft though.

I bought their nappies as well as I'd read good stuff about them. We only use dispos at night and they performed admirably and have contained poorly baby poo as well.....and at £4.99 for 50, cheaper than supermarket own brands by 30%

BettySpaghetti Thu 10-Jul-08 12:11:44

We've been living on aubergine based meals for a few weeks (OK, bit of an exageration but YKWIM) as they've had the most gorgeous, huge ones at 26p each.

They've also started doing a lot more fair trade and organic stuff too.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 10-Jul-08 12:12:31

envy

lackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Jul-08 12:13:02

our closest one is a six mile drive away though rather than half a mile for JS.

MrsJamin Thu 10-Jul-08 12:17:28

Cor it's amazing isn't it? I've just started weaning so it's a godsend to buy veg that's mostly going to end up on the floor anyway! aubergines, avocados, vine tomatoes and sweet potatoes are especially soooo much cheaper and just as nice!

ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jul-08 13:20:12

avocados 20p, onion 20p, piel de sapo melon 79p, mango 37p, cos lettuce 49p, vine tomatoes 84p/kg, 3 mixed peppers 1.19, wild rocket 98p

lulumama Thu 10-Jul-08 13:21:17

yep ! half price fruit and veg when i went yesterday, including organic and some fairtrade stuff....

Oliveoil Thu 10-Jul-08 13:25:05

Aldi are doing 3 peppers for 69p atm

Iklboo Thu 10-Jul-08 13:26:02

Au revoir Asda - it's Lidl for us for the foreseeable future

mankymummy Thu 10-Jul-08 13:26:27

hmmm... ok lidl experts. was going to go to sainsburys for the following but may go to lidl instead now...

anything i should avoid getting from lidl from my list?

Bin bags
Onions
Mushrooms
Peppers
Eggs
Red cooking wine
bread
bagels
tomatoes
nappies (usually sainsburys own size 6!)
wipes
mince

brimfull Thu 10-Jul-08 13:31:23

mankymummy-I personally would get the whole list at lidls except the mince,but I haven't tried the meat there.

I got masses of great quality fruit and veg there yesterday-a bargain.
They sell good quality binbags ,white with drawstring.

lulumama Thu 10-Jul-08 13:51:38

meat is fine, but not from happy cows! it is not free range or organic. so if you are cool with that, then the meat is fine and reasonable priced

mashedbanana Thu 10-Jul-08 14:07:02

i use lidl for odd things there mince is fine.there lightly smoked cooked ham is yummy think its 84p.off there tomorrow to get my veg and there shortbread very yummy only 49p.not done full shop yet but may do next week.done asda shop online today and it seems more expensive than 2 weeks ago when i last did it ordered near enough the same.one good thing no delivery charge.

hertsnessex Thu 10-Jul-08 14:08:58

love lidls!

herbietea Thu 10-Jul-08 14:13:11

Message withdrawn

fircone Thu 10-Jul-08 14:13:24

The milk is not from UK. I'm sure it's ok but I was a bit leery about buying it.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Thu 10-Jul-08 14:16:38

We have 2 Lidl within 5 mins walking distance!
I used to go to Sainsburys to do my shopping, but my car has failed the Mot and I am walking to Lidl. I must say I am surprised at price of veg and fruit, have been eating more. Also bread is only around 70p and it's nicer than Kingsmill at over £1 a loaf. My favourite thing at the moment is the Pesto sauce, so yummy! Oh and the Ace juice!

lackaDAISYcal Thu 10-Jul-08 14:36:51

what surprised me was that there was a lot of branded foods too. I got heinz beans, and they had tropicana orange juice and lurpak butter amongst other things.

I would be hard pushed to do a full shop there though as I need to get gluten free stuff and although lots of things were GF, there was no GF cereal, bread, pasta or biscuits.

We have an ADLI that's much closer, but I don't think they have as good a range of products as Lidl.

Klaw Thu 10-Jul-08 14:43:47

Oh you must try the Spanish Chorizo they stock, we have brilliant Risottos with it.....

And have been using their pull up pants for DD's 'sleep pants' (she's not dry at night)

And the Raspberry Jam, very fruity!

ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jul-08 14:46:37

a bucket of greek yoghurt for £1.85

I have my bill here - this made me laugh - "digital tampons"

SammyC Thu 10-Jul-08 14:53:06

mankymummy - I havent seen any bagels at our local Lidl, I usually get meat from local butcher and the rest from Lidl.

Have been using the nappies and they are fine, we are only at size 5, think size 6 may be pull ups.

Wet wipes all fine too

Twiglett Thu 10-Jul-08 14:55:52

I'm a recent convert

didn't rate their own-brand bread nor their mincemeat so won't be getting that again

but the pastrami and polish sausage is great, no issues with fruit and veg (as long as you check potatoes and cucumber for softness before buying)

pickles, tinned tomatoes, juices and ice-creams all great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now