Talk

Advanced search

CENTURY are offering free AI-powered learning for children while schools are closed

(13 Posts)
LydiaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Mar-20 16:17:28

Hi everyone,

This is an offer brought to you by CENTURY:

To ensure that no child is left behind due to school closures, CENTURY is offering free courses in English, maths and science that cover essential parts of the English national curriculum for Years 3 to 11.

CENTURY is an online learning tool powered by artificial intelligence. The technology identifies each learner’s level of knowledge and skills and recommends content best suited to their needs. Over the past two years, CENTURY has been successfully used by the leading schools in the UK and internationally. Since the beginning of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, CENTURY has been supporting schools and families by giving them access to their technology for free.

-Free for all families affected by coronavirus school closures
-Aligned to the national curriculum
-English, maths and science courses for Years 3-11
-Powered by the world's leading AI teaching and learning platform
-Sign in and start your personalised learning journey here

Sign in and start your personalised learning journey here

This is a paid-for advertising post. Mumsnet carries some affiliate marketing links, so if you buy something through our content, we may get a small share of the sale (more details here).

OP’s posts: |
GnarlyOldGoatDude Mon 30-Mar-20 16:27:29

Looks interesting, but it says you have to put in your card details to register. How long is it free for? How do you cancel it?

Milomonster Tue 31-Mar-20 12:49:00

My son used the maths and liked it. Not sure it’s been proofread/thoroughly checked as there were mathematical mistakes.
I’m a bit dubious of the AI used as its not clear what it’s being used for or how.

donquixotedelamancha Tue 31-Mar-20 12:56:53

I’m a bit dubious of the AI used as its not clear what it’s being used for or how.

I've tested it for science as a teacher. It's not an AI, it's just an algorithm which picks something for you to study and, based on your answers, either moves you on to the next topic or gives a reinforcement task until you get it.

It's a bit rough around the edges but is certainly useful for linguistically able students. Less able students may struggle and are probably better off with other options.

LydiaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 31-Mar-20 14:36:23

Hi there @GnarlyOldGoatDude

We've been in touch with CENTURY regarding your question and they've sent us the following response:

"Currently card details are required to complete registration on the CENTURY home learning platform. We can assure you that no one will ever be charged for the Essentials course that is provided free of charge for the entire period of school closures."

OP’s posts: |
GnarlyOldGoatDude Tue 31-Mar-20 14:43:13

Thanks @lydiamumsnet, we managed to login eventually and are giving it a try!

Foobydoo Tue 31-Mar-20 15:02:32

We have tried it and it isn't working properly at the moment. I am concerned I have given card details now.

FlowerAndBloom Tue 31-Mar-20 23:42:14

I won't be putting my card details in for something free. Surprised you are endorsing that mumsnet tbh

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Apr-20 17:10:25

Hey everyone! Here's an update from CENTURY:

"We know many of you have been wondering why we’ve been asking for card details to access our free offer. This was part of our standard registration process, but we’re pleased to let you know that from now on anyone selecting the free COVID support courses will not be asked for their card details. Anyone who has previously registered for the free offer will have their card details removed from our system. Thank you for your patience and apologies for the initial confusion, we are working really hard to support you all in these extraordinary times."

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Apr-20 17:13:46

In response to your issue @Foobydoo:

"We apologise for any issues you may be experiencing, please get in touch with us at help@century.tech and we will try to resolve this as soon as possible. And do not worry, your card will not be charged if you have selected free Essentials courses."

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Apr-20 17:17:07

And to your comments @Milomonster:

"All content on CENTURY has been developed by experienced teachers. We have strict quality control processes for content and take any issues or mistakes very seriously. That’s why we have functionality on the platform that allows you to report mistakes immediately when you’re within a micro-lesson. All you need to do is click the help ‘?’ button and select 'report a mistake' and your feedback will be sent straight to us."

In regards to AI:

"CENTURY uses AI to identify the areas of strength and weakness for every student and recommend learning material that is best suited to their level of knowledge, skills and learning style. The more your child uses CENTURY, the better the AI recommendations will become. You can learn more about how CENTURY works in this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVBSaChbrGc&t=42s"

Hope that helps!

minisnowballs Sun 05-Apr-20 10:54:13

My daughters are using it. The content is quite useful and when the diagnostic tests work the AI seems great. Oddly though, for one of them the tests don't come up for some reason - so she's having to just go through everything.

Otherwise though, it did identify weaknesses and the content is helping them keep going with science - which is a real concern for me as there is just so much of it to get through.

TideIsHigh2 Sat 09-May-20 09:18:07

I’m not very impressed by the software or the content. We have noticed various mistakes and are also not keen on their messages about how we learn. Don’t find it of particularly high quality considering all the marketing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in