Talk

Advanced search

Buying first house tips

(4 Posts)
mulberry69 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:40:06

Hi, looking to buy my first house next year (hopefully) looking for a property around 270,000 Can anyone advise what amount of deposit I need Is it still 10%? Does anyone have any money saving tips or credit score tips please

mulberry69 Thu 17-Oct-19 09:41:33

Or just any general advise that I might need to know

l12d04 Fri 18-Oct-19 18:02:19

You can usually do a 5% deposit these days although your interest will generally be higher and obviously your mortgage.

I would suggest cleaning up any odd bits of credit that you may not necessarily need. Ie. Small overdrafts if not used, consolidate credit cards on to 0% interests etc and don't take out any new credit within at least 3 months before applying for a mortgage. Get an agreement in principle beforehand.

I used a mortgage advisor, which obviously cost, but she sorted everything from the AIP right through to getting the mortgage and sorting insurance for us. She was worth every penny. Came highly recommended by word of mouth so do some research and read a lot of reviews if you go with someone online.

Fettfrett Fri 18-Oct-19 18:07:09

The bigger your deposit the better mortgage rate you'll get. If you go and see a mortgage broker they can advise you on the products available and how much of a mortgage you can get with different lenders (different lenders use different salary multiples, but again the ones which will lend more often have higher rates).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »