Talk

Advanced search

Presents to send to Oz

(33 Posts)
candlefloozy Fri 11-Oct-19 07:08:33

Help! My friend lives in Australia with her children. I always send them birthday and Christmas gifts but it always costs a fortune in postage. I have no idea what I can send to keep costs down. I end up buying cheap presents and the postage costs double the gifts. Any ideas what I can send? Books still cost a lot too!

Cantchooseaname Fri 11-Oct-19 07:15:07

Buy from an oz site and deliver direct for her to wrap?

Pipandmum Fri 11-Oct-19 07:15:38

There’s an Amazon in Australia! I would order off that when my bro in law and his kids lived there.

odddogout Fri 11-Oct-19 07:27:21

I agree that buying from an Australian site would be much easier. I can recommend www.hardtofind.com.au/ for adult gifts (similar to Not on the High Street).

odddogout Fri 11-Oct-19 07:29:18

Sorry, just realised that the website mentioned above has items for children as well. Definitely worth a look!

user1474894224 Fri 11-Oct-19 07:37:22

I used Amazon to deliver to Australia.

nakedavengeragain Fri 11-Oct-19 07:58:38

Just order from an Oz site? There's not much you can't get down here.

pikapikachu Fri 11-Oct-19 08:00:14

Buy from Amazon in Australia

clucky3 Fri 11-Oct-19 08:01:46

I have the same issue. It's finding the websites to order from that is difficult. Could anyone recommend any more, I also find this really difficult for New Zealand. Online shopping doesn't appear to be a thing there, or if it is no one told google about it.

EnolaAlone Fri 11-Oct-19 08:06:42

When my BIL lived in Australia we used to buy gifts to be sent directly from an Australian website called Red Balloon, they were always really good.

nakedavengeragain Fri 11-Oct-19 08:13:48

@clucky3 what kind of things are you looking for? Online shopping isn't as huge as uk and USA but it's here. If you are in UK Google won't optimise an Aus/NZ site but I can let you know some options.

nakedavengeragain Fri 11-Oct-19 08:19:58

@clucky3 what kind of things are you looking for? Online shopping isn't as huge as uk and USA but it's here. If you are in UK Google won't optimise an Aus/NZ site but I can let you know some options.

timeisnotaline Fri 11-Oct-19 08:30:53

Buy from oz. not amazon. Hard to find is good, Myers is the John Lewis, target is really good, for nice kids clothes country road, seed heritage, cotton on kids (cheaper than the other two), bonds.
For nice toys honeybeetoys ,I think there’s another,dragonfly toys?
For babies the above plus purebaby (beautiful baby toddler clothes) , marquise, and baby bunting is a bit like mothercare.
They all do online shopping.
If you want to buy English things, there is a Boden.com.au, and M&S ship there much cheaper than you can post, so do hush so I assume John Lewis andjoules etc probably do too.

nakedavengeragain Fri 11-Oct-19 08:31:50

Some Aus/NZ options for online orders. Just google the names:

Department Stores
Aus: Myer
NZ: Farmers, Smith and Caugheys

Cheap Warehouse type stores for toys and homewares (but still pretty good)
Aus: Target, Big W, Kmart
NZ: Warehouse, Kmart, Target

Makeup, beauty perfume
Aus and NZ: Mecca, Sephora (also department stores above), Strawberrynet

Books
Aus: Dymocks, Booktopia, Amazon
NZ: Whitcouls, Paperplus

Food and drink
Aus: Coles, Woolworths or a local speciality bottle shop or local vineyard
NZ: Countdown, New World or the local bottle shop or vineyard

Clothes (all ages).
Aus/NZ: the Iconic (good for overseas brands), Country Road

Generic:
Amazon
Fishpond
Mightyape

Remember that at anything entering NZ from ex NZ will attract tax and customs charges if value is over $200. Same for Aussie so check if you are on a .com.au or a .co.nz even when it's the same company name.

nakedavengeragain Fri 11-Oct-19 08:39:09

More randoms: all
Aus/NZ

Kikki K for cutesy stationary beloved of teens

Cotton on for all ages clothes and trinkets

Typo for quirky stationary and gifts again beloved of teens.

The usual shops are here too just enter the site for Aus/NZ: Ted Baker, Superdry, Lululemon, Lush, jo Malone

Also forgot Priceline; Aus. version of Boots

Also John Lewis and M&S delivers free down here if you spend over $100 (but returns are paid full price)

clucky3 Fri 11-Oct-19 09:38:16

Thanks @nakedavengeragain, you have no idea how helpful that is. We buy for whole families so all ages, children and adults. Great to have a few options - I feel like Christmas is all of a sudden going to be stress freegrin

NumberblockNo1 Fri 11-Oct-19 09:43:48

We used to buy English stuff and send it hut the postage was so astronomical we stopped...

Amazon uk will ship to Australia so we've done that.

NumberblockNo1 Fri 11-Oct-19 09:44:14

Or at least books. They wont send everything.

nakedavengeragain Fri 11-Oct-19 09:51:03

Hurrah@clucky3 Once you know the John Lewis or Boots or Paperchase equivalent it's easy.

Shout out if you need any more

candlefloozy Sat 12-Oct-19 09:31:06

@Pipandmum brilliant. I had no idea!! Thank you

candlefloozy Sat 12-Oct-19 09:32:36

@Pipandmum brilliant. I had no idea!! Thank you.

@nakedavengeragain they are 10 and 14. I have no idea what to get them.

Also, might sound stupid but how does payment work??

candlefloozy Sat 12-Oct-19 09:33:46

Seriously overwhelmEd with your responses thank you.

kazza446 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:34:38

These are great suggestions! Thank you!

Run4it2 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:37:05

Hairhq does free postage, as does the book depository

nakedavengeragain Sat 12-Oct-19 09:40:36

Pay with PayPal or any debit or credit card. You'll be charged in NZD or AUD and probably a foreign currency fee but won't be much. If you want to avoid that then I suggest a Caxton FX card.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »