Talk

Advanced search

Am I spending too much?

(9 Posts)
whatIfITSnot Sun 08-Sep-19 17:46:38

On average me and my partners weekly shop comes up around £40-50 a week. This isn't including bits and bobs from the shop and the odd takeaway.
I feel like we are spending to much since it's only us two.

Is it to much? We are barely surviving financially and we also have a baby, so I would like to try and cut that down a bit but I really don't know how to do that.

What budget tips do you use/recommend if you have any? Thanks! smile

OP’s posts: |
rosedream Sun 08-Sep-19 17:49:31

That sounds very good for a weekly shop.

Aldi do a chicken curry pack in the fresh meet section. It's very nice and much cheaper than a takeaway curry and easy to make. Add rice and a nan.

burblife Sun 08-Sep-19 20:36:38

I would say that doesn't sound too bad for a weekly shop but it depends how much it buys you.

Have you added up all the 'extra bits and bobs' from the shop as I suspect you will be spending more here than you think.

Does that amount include 3 meals a day? Or are you also buying lunches, coffees etc every day?

burblife Sun 08-Sep-19 20:38:14

Also if you have a baby, have you registered for child benefit?

We keep our weekly food budget down to under £60 for two adults, toddler and baby by shopping at Aldi/Lidl and meal planning and not wasting any food.

HazelWalker1 Fri 08-Nov-19 10:29:52

Do you shop at Aldi and Lidl?

You can save so much by shopping there. My partner and I spend £40 max a week. We don't usually get any takeaways as we love cooking but we deffo recommend swapping at leat 1 takeaway a month out for a really nice homecooked meal

When you're in aldi and lidl as well try and steer away from ready meals as they may look cheap, £1 for a meal, but if you buy the fresh ingredients you can usually make a few portions and freeze them up

i just made a fb group for sharing everything regarding making money and saving money, did you want to joim?

www.facebook.com/groups/earnmoneyuk/

Fuzzyspringroll Sun 10-Nov-19 07:47:24

We spend about £90 per week but rarely have takeaways or eat out.
I can get it down to about £60 per week when I meal plan and batch cook.

SunshineAngel Sun 10-Nov-19 07:59:08

We spend £60 a week for 3 of us, but will usually get a takeaway at the weekend while DSS is at his mum's (often pizza, which lasts two of the 3 days, so Fri/Sat, then roast dinner on Sunday).

I think £60 is okay (so yours is certainly okay) but I also know that I could definitely cut down. I shop at Tesco, buy brands, and don't really make any effort.. I just pick up whatever I want. I could probably halve it if I actually planned in advance what we were eating and just bought the ingredients that I needed!

Nsky Sun 15-Dec-19 19:07:51

Surely lots if veggie meals would help

Seh81 Sat 28-Dec-19 18:39:27

Meal planning is the key here.
And if your anything like me you’ve got a freezer full of bits and bobs forgotten about.
And cupboards full of odd tins.
Shelf cooking is a alway to use up things you’ve already got. I dont buy much by the way of snacks now.we just have three solid meals.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in