Talk

Advanced search

Tips for food shopping...

(8 Posts)
MummyOfTwo92 Sat 10-Aug-19 18:36:03

What are your best money saving tips for food shopping?

With Christmas coming up I need to try save as much as possible (big family) and it will be here before we know it!

OP’s posts: |
PooWillyBumBum Sun 11-Aug-19 21:30:16

Before you leave the house:

1) check what you have - make a little inventory prioritising anything that may go off, first
2) check what offers are on in Aldi/Lidl if you have them
3) make a meal plan using as much of what you already have, and incorporating anything on offer if a good deal/of interest
4) make a list and promise to stick to eat. Eat before you leave home and go alone!

There are loads of cheap eating websites like Thrifty Lesley, Budget Bytes, Cooking on a Bootstrap. Generally you’ll see lots of ingredients like tinned food, cheaper veggies (root veg, anything in season, cabbage, courgettes), lentils and pulses.

Cut out or down on booze!

PooWillyBumBum Sun 11-Aug-19 21:32:09

Also if you can set up another account for Christmas and save 1/4 each month starting this month (you may not have Decembers pay before Xmas). Next year put aside 1/12th.

And remember that kids don’t need much. The important thing is that you’re all together, happy and healthy. That’s what they’ll remember. No point trying to keep up with with Joneses smile

Longdistance Sun 11-Aug-19 21:37:00

I write a list of the things we need and keep this in the notes section of my phone.

I meal plan for the week as my dh can be away at times. We have usual meals and stick to them.

I shop Lidl and Aldi.

MummyOfTwo92 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:58:38

Thanks for your replies. The bytes website looks good, some good recipes. We eat the same week in week out.

Yes we were meant to put a certain amount aside on gift cards where we would shop at Christmas but we didn't manage to so now I'm a bit panicky 😱. I wanted a nice relaxing Christmas this year instead of rushing and stressing. I'm sure we can still achieve that lol

OP’s posts: |
stucknoue Mon 12-Aug-19 15:17:22

Make a monthly meal plan, buy long life ingredients in bulk, but be a bit flexible to use up leftovers. Always make a list and cut back on junk - you don't need it. Buy own brand and visit different supermarkets as they have different offers

TamsinSharp Tue 20-Aug-19 16:45:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HazelWalker1 Fri 08-Nov-19 10:26:11

Aldi and Lidl!! It's shocking how much you can save when you shop there

Buy fresh ingredients do massive cook ups and freeze the leftovers, you'll always have fresh healthy and CHEAP food to eat

Try to cut down on packaged meals and snacks, these may look cheap in principle (£1 for a ready meal) but if you bought the fresh ingredients you'd make more than one meal for around the same price person and it'd be way healthier too

I just made a group where we can all sare our favourite deals and stuff

I'd love if you could join and start sharing??

www.facebook.com/groups/earnmoneyuk/

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in