Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters are experts in finding the best deals on the internet - and this topic is where they share them. Want more? Head to our Discount codes hub for exclusive offers and discounts you won’t find anywhere else.

MN Deals: two pairs of glasses from £15

(33 Posts)
AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 31-Jan-18 16:58:17

Hi all,

Glasses Direct are offering Mumsnetters 2 pairs of glasses from £15.

Just choose a pair of frames* and another free pair (up to the same value), then choose your lenses. Enter the code MUMSNET15 at the checkout in order to get £34 off your order and free delivery - get started here.

This offer is valid until 23:59 on 7/2/18.

*They must cost more than £49 and the offer does not include Boutique frames.

Mumsnet carries some affiliate marketing links, so if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale (more details here).

LastNightMyWifeHooveredMyHead Wed 31-Jan-18 17:09:15

Can you use this deal if you are an existing customer of theirs, please?

LastNightMyWifeHooveredMyHead Wed 31-Jan-18 21:40:56

Just in case anyone else is interested: yes, you can! Thanks MN - I've cracked my damn glasses and was putting off getting a new pair until payday next month grin

HereHoldMyDrink Thu 01-Feb-18 04:08:23

Ah man, my eye test is booked in for the 12th so I miss out!

Onlyjoinedforthisthread Thu 01-Feb-18 18:09:57

I think mumsnet should do more research into eye health before they plug internet glasses suppliers. Charles Kennedy recommended them, did some research, withdrew the recommendation and apologised. Very poor form mumsnet

londonrach Thu 01-Feb-18 20:51:14

Better than asdas offer!!!

londonrach Thu 01-Feb-18 20:51:49

But prefer them as they do eye test too

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Feb-18 12:34:43

Hi @Onlyjoinedforthisthread,

Thanks for your feedback. We've passed it on to Glasses Direct and they had the following to say:

"Glasses Direct employ GOC registered opticians to supervise each and every order that's placed on our website and we only accept orders which are placed with a valid prescription from a registered optometrist. We recommend that everyone has regular eye examinations at least every 2 years for the continued good health of their eyes."

There is some more information about this here.

Onlyjoinedforthisthread Fri 02-Feb-18 19:06:48

Have you done any independent research, or would that me too much to ask.

Onlyjoinedforthisthread Fri 02-Feb-18 19:42:50

For example you can order glasses off them with a 23 month old prescription, the changes in that time could be massive. Eye tests can find diabetes , tumours, glaucoma, other eye diseases, cancers, SDIs.

LastNightMyWifeHooveredMyHead Fri 02-Feb-18 20:10:28

Tbf, all opticians I have ever used will accept a prescription up to 2 years old. And that's when you're usually recalled for your next test if you have no other issues - I've never been asked to attend more frequently than that since childhood confused

MsHomeSlice Fri 02-Feb-18 20:19:11

the "here" link is not working for me, a tab tries to open and closes immediately.

arapunzel Fri 02-Feb-18 20:59:41

An Optician will accept a prescription up to the recall time which will be specified on the patients copy of the prescription.

An adult may need to attend for a routine eye examination more frequently than once per 24 months. This should be mentioned at the time of the test and the reason why.

As a GOC registrant I really do not see how online ordering companies are fulling complying with UK law regarding the sale & supply of spectacles.

Littlemissamy Fri 02-Feb-18 21:35:01

Arapunzel (sorry I can’t tag!) - me neither, they must be complying to the absolute bare minimum and the regulations need to be tightened.

You pay for more than just specs when you buy in person!

ScreamingValenta Fri 02-Feb-18 22:43:10

I'm thinking of giving it a try. I wear glasses full time and spend over £300 on my glasses (I go for ultra thin, anti-reflective etc.) I normally get two pairs; plus I replace every two years so my last prescription is normally still wearable (if not damaged)- so that's a maximum of four pairs of glasses to go with every outfit and occasion. I quite like the idea of getting a couple of cheap pairs in a different style/colour from my normal choices - even if I only ever wear them occasionally and for short periods.

ScreamingValenta Sat 03-Feb-18 00:25:51

... well, I have taken a punt. Here is my buying experience if anyone is interested.

I went for two pairs in the £69.00 range, so the total for the order was £35.00 - I went for completely basic lenses (there were various add-ons if desired). I then simply copied the details from my prescription. There was one field which wasn't included ('BVD') but there was a free format field so I added this info there. A quick google says this field applies to stronger prescriptions - it's for my left eye which is -5, but it's not listed on prescription for my slightly better right eye, so guessing -5 is the threshold.

Also, my prescription gives my left axis as '3 1/2' - I couldn't enter '3.5' as the field only accepted whole numbers, so again I included this info in the free format box.

The site took contact details and says they will contact if needed.

As stated above, I chose frames in colours I wouldn't normally choose, but went for styles I have had before, as I know what suits my face (not much, sadly). There is a 'virtual try on' facility, but I've tried similar before with other opticians, and not found it gives a true picture compared to trying the glasses on, so I stuck to frame shapes I'm familiar with.

For £35 I'm not too bothered if this turns out to be a failed experiment but I'm hoping I might just have added a bit more variety to my life grin. I would readily spend £35 on, say, a skirt that I might only wear once a fortnight and I have to wear glasses all the time, so extra pairs, if they're any good, will be a great bonus.

ETA of glasses is 7 - 14 days so I will report back when they arrive or if I have any contact from them in the meantime.

FarmerSee Sat 03-Feb-18 00:42:58

I use online optical companies. I have very bad eyesight, need super strong lenses, and at any average walk in opticians they cost me an absolute fortune! I'm talking hundreds of pounds.

But online I can get them at a quarter of the price! Before ordering online lenses I have a normal eye test at my high street optician to ensure my prescription is fresh and up to date. Then i go online, choose frames, order the lenses, and have no problems.

I'm really grateful for online lenses because now I can afford to renew my specs more often. I've had no issues with it so far.

ScreamingValenta Sat 03-Feb-18 00:49:52

@FarmerSee The glasses I've just ordered cost less than a tenth of my normal high street pairs. Really hoping they will be OK as I tend to get fed up of my glasses by the time my two-yearly renewal comes round, and it would be great to be able to change frames more frequently.

athingthateveryoneneeds Sat 03-Feb-18 10:09:05

I've ordered two pairs for £15. Lots of pre-ticked options made the cost much higher at first. I usually order with a different online company, but the glasses are made in China. Are these glasses truly made in the UK from start to finish, or just put together here?

FluttershysCutieMarkTheHerald Sat 03-Feb-18 13:29:40

I ordered two 49 pound pairs, once delivery was added the total cost would have been over 100 pound so to get two pairs for £15 is amazing. I mainly need mine for screens so don't need a fancy pair. Thanks mn and glasses direct.

LastNightMyWifeHooveredMyHead Sat 03-Feb-18 13:58:46

@ScreamingValenta - I discovered them just after I'd paid £250 for a pair at Boots I usually get 4 pairs every two years, so I can leave a pair in the car, one in the office etc- all in different colours and always for under £100 delivered. I go for the silver lens package- I've also had sunglasses through them. The glasses I'm wearing now are the only ones I had an issue with (got these and sunglasees with a new prescription last year) - and that's only because some idiot barged into me in the street, knocking my glasses off, before promptly stepping on them angry

ScreamingValenta Sat 03-Feb-18 14:33:25

@LastNightMyWifeHooveredMyHead I wish I'd thought of this the last time I bought sunglasses for around £100. I hardly ever wear them so £25 cheapies would be more than adequate. I like the idea of having a spare pair at work too - remembering once when an arm fell off and I had to sellotape it back on blush.

LBOCS2 Sat 03-Feb-18 17:50:15

For what it's worth, I've used Glasses Direct before to get my specs, and if your prescription hasn't changed from the last one, or if you're a new customer, you have to speak to one of their opticians before they'll make up the order. I'm really not sure how much more they can do to fulfil their obligations - glasses cost HUGE amounts on the high street if you need anything out of the ordinary, so having an alternative without the overheads is better IMO. I've been very pleased with them.

Hippyshubby Sat 03-Feb-18 21:38:51

I love that the thread is topped by an advert for Specsavers.

underneaththeash Sat 03-Feb-18 21:55:44

Generally in life, you get what you pay for.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: