Talk

Advanced search

cashback and vouchers for beginners (idiot proof help needed)

(6 Posts)
UntamedShrew Wed 20-Jan-16 16:13:15

I'm not very good at these sort of things but keep seeing people on here (especially on the bargain hunting Christmas threads) recommending cash back sites and I don't really know what they are talking about - can anyone give me a few pointers please?
Obviously I get the basic gist that it is cash back on your purchases but do you have to use the same credit card all the time, and does the money get paid back onto that same card?

And main question - is it really worth it? Or is it just loads more hassle and not really any pay out? Do you have to remember to enter a code every time or something, is there a way of not forgetting?

Are some better for certain retailers than others? We spend a lot with Amazon and Ocado and M&S if that makes a difference.

Thank you - I'm sure I must be missing out on something really obvious but not sure what!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 20-Jan-16 16:19:21

Generally you go to X web site - signed in - from there the participating shops have links - click and shop as normal - cash back goes into X account linked to your bank

BornToFolk Wed 20-Jan-16 16:26:48

I use Quidco and it's really very easy. You just log in there, search for the shop you want to use, click through to their site and shop as normal. Then every so often, you can a payment of cashback directly into your bank account.

I'm sure there are lots of very clever ways you can use it to maximise cash back but I tend to just use it for things I would buy anyway and then save the cash back.

So yeah, in my opinion, definitely worth it. Once you have it set up, you just need to remember to go through Quidco rather than going directly to the shop's site and that's it.

UntamedShrew Wed 20-Jan-16 16:32:53

Ah so it is through a site not a card, that makes sense. I've had a look at Quidco and they talk about codes as well but I think that looks like it's on top of the cash back.
Do you mind me asking roughly how much you get back? And do you get it monthly? Just trying to see if it is worth yet another login and password (which I'm bound to forget). It's only 1% for M&S so that's around a pound a month for me at the moment which might mean the whole exercise gets filed under 'can't be arsed'!!

BornToFolk Wed 20-Jan-16 16:52:19

Yes, it's the site although I think you can register a card for certain retailers. I get cashback whenever I shop at Debenhams for example. Really need to look into how to maximise that!

The code thing is for special offers but that's in addition to the cash back. For example, they might offer 10% cashback on The Book People and also free delivery if you use a code. But even if you don't use the code, you'll still get your 10% cashback.

The amount you get varies. I did book this year's holiday and flights through Quidco and when that comes through it should pay for a meal out while we're there! It can take a while for cashback to track and be paid sometimes so I won't rely on it.

I think I may get a referral bonus so if you decide to sign up, would you let me refer you please?

UntamedShrew Thu 21-Jan-16 12:41:07

Of course! I'm still mulling over whether it is worth it (we don't go on the kind of holidays you can get cash back on) but if I do sign up I'll definitely PM you first - thanks again for all your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now