What is 'top cash back' and why do they do it?

(14 Posts)
pirateparty Sun 27-Feb-11 20:05:15

Saw this website recommended on another thread (Boden discount codes), and have never heard of it before. What is the catch? Is is a con? Don't quite understand what it is.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

(Sorry if being really stupid)

BertieBotts Sun 27-Feb-11 20:07:16

This explains a LOT better than I could.

Pekkala Sun 27-Feb-11 20:12:44

I use them lots. I've just 50 quid back on my car insurance bringing it down to just over 100 for the year. I also make big savings on my house insurance - last year after cashback it cost me 70 quid for the whole year!.
The catches - make sure you don't choose a product just because it has cashback - I use the insurance comparison sites to find the best deals for me, then go looking for cashback deals to combine with them.
And never rely on cashback or use it as a reason to purchase - just see it as a bit of a bonus.

Over the years I've saved over 2K on stuff I would have bought anyway.

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 27-Feb-11 20:45:09

I have had hundreds back over the years. You can get it in cash - or in amazon vouchers now and they add another bit on for you. I have it in amazon vouchers and get nappies and stuff from them (they are cheaper than the shops!).

Havent 'paid' for nappies in ages now

Ponders Sun 27-Feb-11 20:51:53

I use Quidco - I don't think there's a lot to choose between them. You have to wait a few months to get the money (esp for insurance) but it's worth doing when it's something you would have bought anyway.

Any time you plan to buy anything online, scan through their merchants & see if the one you're looking at is there.

NB Amazon never do cashback

EasterEggHuntIsOver Mon 28-Feb-11 19:00:29

I think it's great way to earn extra cash, from buying things you would normally buy.

I have earned over £100 cashback so far. Most of which comes from Boden blush

There are especially good cashback rates for insurance policies on Topcashback - £60 for Sheila's Wheels car insurance. I prefer Topcashback because unlike many cashback sites, they don't charge any admin fees (Quidco charge £5 a year - which is taken from cashback earnings).

If you haven't already signed-up to Topcashback, I really recommend it:

With this link I can earn £1

With this link I earn nothing

pirateparty Mon 28-Feb-11 20:04:38

Thank you so much all, esp that link Bertie - makes a bit more sense now. Like the idea of not paying for nappies!

MandaHugNKiss Sun 06-Mar-11 14:26:06

Like ponders I'm with quidco and she is right, amazon never do cashback... but they DO give nectar points if you shop through the link from the nectar page smile

I currently have over £500 nectar points (or over £1000 for the 'double' places like ASK or the merlin group...), can't seem to bring myself to spend them! I reckon I'll book a holiday through expedia with them once the amount gets enough...

balia Mon 07-Mar-11 22:10:36

Great tip, MandaHugNKiss I use Amazon a fair bit and always curse that it doesn't have cashback - will check into nectar points now!

MandaHugNKiss Tue 08-Mar-11 18:25:00

In the same vein, it just to grate that ASOS never offered cashback... but they give Boots Advantage points through Boots Treat Street link. That's another card I have with over £130 sitting on it!

MandaHugNKiss Tue 08-Mar-11 18:25:51

It used* to grate, not just. Not sure what exactly I was thinking when I typed that!

YesPleaseDrChristian Wed 09-Mar-11 14:49:29

I also use Topcashback, I have had over £250 pounds paid back to me.

The best ones were for switching energy supplier I got £40 for just switching.

AndWhenYouGetThere Sat 20-Oct-12 12:49:46

EasterEggHunt, I used your link - not sure if it's still active, but if it is the referral rate has gone up to £10 now!

Bertie - thanks for the explanation link - very helpful!

There's also a toolbar now (downloadable from the TCB site) which alerts you when you're on cashback-able sites. Got some money on my new phone contract that way, and I'd never have thought about it.

Here's my refferal link http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/member107348678243

franno1990 Sat 06-Feb-16 14:52:07

I love the topcashback website! Only found it over the New Year period but I've managed to make a fair amount of money on it without spending any extra money. Plus you can get some nice freebies if you are willing to put the effort in.

Here's a little video guide for anyone that wants to give it a go: bit.ly/1PdCVmG

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now