Talk

Advanced search

Ceramic or gas hob? Advice please

(8 Posts)
mamhaf Thu 18-Aug-05 20:54:18

We're going to refit our kitchen. Any advice on hobs? We currently have gas, but I'm tempted by ceramic because it looks easier to clean. What are the pros and cons, and any recommended makes? Of the gas hobs, I've seen a Baumatic 4 burner with a wok ring - are the gas wok rings good or just a gimmick? thanks

pootlepod Thu 18-Aug-05 21:08:35

Ceramic can be a faff to clean. You have to use ceramic cleaner (bit like Jif) and a scraper gadget thing. That's ok but rinsing it all afterwards to get it 'gleaming' is the pain. They do look nice though, and I would choose these over any other electric top (but prefer gas).

Ceramic is quick to heat up and relatively more controllable than solid plates.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 21:14:07

GAS! Gawd, I'm a foodie, and it drives me nuts the cooker in this place is electric. Ugggh!!! I made the BEST meals on a gas cooker from the 50s in this little bedsit I used to rent. Damn, I miss that thing.

hunkermunker Thu 18-Aug-05 21:24:55

I loathe hobs that aren't gas. Not responsive enough.

expatinscotland Thu 18-Aug-05 21:25:33

Ditt, hm. They take ages to heat up and cool down, it's hard to control the heat, they don't cook food as fast. Blah! Hate 'em!

mamhaf Thu 18-Aug-05 21:41:04

Thanks, nuff said - gas it is! I wondered about the responsiveness and cooling down time. Anyone have advice about the wok rings? Worth having? Also recommended makes - any experience of Baumatic? My current hob is gas and a Stoves make, but the metal pan supports buckle if I use anything which gets very hot like a griddle or cast iron bakestone. I'm also a foodie!

suedonim Thu 18-Aug-05 22:25:49

A friend has just had her kitchen done and has installed a magnetic hob, something like this Induction hob and it's amazing. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool gas hob person but would seriously consider this as it's just as controllable as gas. It's very safe, too, as it cools down almost immediately.

Xena Thu 18-Aug-05 23:04:36

I have the one on the right of that link and its fab v easy to clean imo, as good as gas cooking wise but much easier to clean.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: