Talk

Advanced search

washable ink or sew in labels?

(17 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 18-Aug-05 16:38:10

Just looking at DS's new school uniform and realsied that there are spaces on all of the washing / size labels to put the childs name. Is it worth just getting a special ink pen or will it fade eventually? (bearing in mind that DD will probably wear the same gear when she goes).

I dont want to make extra work for myself but i've bought all the labels now!

Easy Thu 18-Aug-05 16:43:09

Use the labels my dear. Somehow I felt such pride when I'd sewn the labels into all ds's gear (well alright, I got my mum to do some of it).

And written on stuff does fade, so you have to remember to check it and re-write from time to time.

spidermama Thu 18-Aug-05 16:53:30

Washable ink every time. It takes seconds.

mckenzie Thu 18-Aug-05 17:50:28

oh dear. I've just sent DM home with a bag of clothes and the labels!!

Gillian76 Thu 18-Aug-05 18:30:08

Have to admit the same sense of pride when I'd done all of DDs sewn-in labels

Am I sad???

tortoiseshell Thu 18-Aug-05 18:31:12

M&S do iron on labels. I've got some of those and some sew on ones for things that get washed more often.

LIZS Thu 18-Aug-05 18:35:12

Just ordered mine, at last ! Not much to sew into yet though lol.

roisin Thu 18-Aug-05 19:22:35

I used to spend hours sewing on labels, and felt a ridiculous amount of pride in it as well. Then last year I discovered iron-on ones

starlover Thu 18-Aug-05 19:24:19

the iron-on ones tend to come unstuck after a few washes though!

roisin Thu 18-Aug-05 19:26:33

I got some from Easy2name last summer, and their stick outlasted the clothes. Their uniform (boys ) was in rags by the end of the year, but the labels were still firmly stuck.

Easy Thu 18-Aug-05 19:48:47

Cheers roisin, I'll look at getting some.

Now, where's my iron ?

roisin Thu 18-Aug-05 19:54:32

Easy - 10% off if you go through mumsnet here

Easy Thu 18-Aug-05 20:00:34

Mind you, I bought a stock of Cash's labels last year when ds started school. I don't think we'll have used them all up even by the time he's 16!

Whizzz Thu 18-Aug-05 20:28:20

Thanks for the reminder - I have just bought some easy2name ones !

roisin Thu 18-Aug-05 21:31:56

Thanks for the reminder - have this evening iron-on-labelled 3 sweatshirts, 5 prs of trousers, 2 shirts, 4 polo shirts, 2 coats, and 10 prs of socks.

It would have taken far longer to sew them all on.

The 'white transfer' names I use on the socks don't stay on indefinitely, but they do make sock sorting after laundry much easier. And if I could be bothered I could always re-do the labels after a few months

pootlepod Thu 18-Aug-05 21:39:02

To save money (and not have zillions of tapes left over) just get the surname printed on labels and add the initial if desired to the front.

LIZS Fri 19-Aug-05 11:34:50

My mum used to order tapes with my brother's initial, then our surname, then my initial. She'd fold under the initial not required.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: