Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

vtech/leappad - am confused as to what to get for dd's birthday

(22 Posts)
nailpolish Wed 17-Aug-05 21:04:28

want to get dd something for her birthday like this, she loves playing on the compute, shell be 3 on he next birthday btw

TIA!

Hulababy Wed 17-Aug-05 21:11:13

DD (3yo)has both a Leappad and a VTech VSmile, and enjoys both. If I was going to get just one though I'd go for the VSmile - but you have to be prepared to share your TV. Already a few games available, and more out in October, including Dora and Barney. This really is for the ages set - it says from 3yo and it really means that IMO. And the age ranges for the games seem pretty good too, although the grown ups seemed to enjoy the Winnie the Pooh platform game last Christmas And there is a new Art pad for it jsut come out - on DD's Christmas list - so you can use the VSmile to draw pictures on the TV.

nailpolish Wed 17-Aug-05 21:14:03

thanks hula, ill have a look at it. so do you think its a good pressie for a 3rd birthday? or should i wait til christmas?

Hulababy Wed 17-Aug-05 21:16:27

We got it when DD was 2y8m, last Christmas and Dd did enjoy using it - but she was limited to only aspects of the game and needed help. As she has gotten older she can do more and more on her own (only has two games at mo) and she does love to have it on. She still needs some help to play the whole thing - age range for game is 3-5yo, so that's why.

But I'd say yes, definitely suitable for a 3yo's birthday IME.

nailpolish Wed 17-Aug-05 21:17:17

great! am going to have a closer look, thanks very much

Hulababy Wed 17-Aug-05 21:17:58

No worries.

It's good fun for you to play too, honest

blueteddy Wed 17-Aug-05 21:34:15

Did you know that they are selling all leappad products for half price in woolworths ATM?!

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 10:04:13

oh really? thanks for the tip, blueted x

Hulababy Thu 18-Aug-05 20:33:17

The slae in our two local Woolworth shops has now finished on Leappad stuff

Whizzz Thu 18-Aug-05 20:39:37

DS has a Leappad - we got him quite a few books to go with it but all he wants to do is play the games part of them !
In hindsight - we probably should have picked educational games rather than learning books with games tacked on!

The 'Clifford' CD Roms are really good by the way if you have a budding computer genius !

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 20:40:48

whizzz thats fab, dd1 adores clifford (hes my favourite too)

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 20:41:09

are they ok for a just turned 3 yr old?

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 20:44:49

what about the vtech my laptop?

Whizzz Thu 18-Aug-05 20:48:05

nailpolish - make sure they are the UK versions with English voices though - we have a phonics one which is confusing in parts as its American

Here is one of DSs favourites Music

Whizzz Thu 18-Aug-05 20:49:45

OOps sorry - yes although may need more help with some parts of them. I think they are age 3+

another

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 20:49:50

still dont know whether to get a leappad or vsmile cant afford both

Whizzz Thu 18-Aug-05 20:52:42

Sorry - haven't really seen the VTech to compare with leappad. Guaranteed if you buy one - they'll want the other one !

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 20:53:30

thats true!

Hulababy Thu 18-Aug-05 20:54:35

DD also has a Leappad. So long as you get the books for the correct age group (up to 5yo) they are fine. DD tends to do the activities, rather than reading the story with it, and she loes clicking on the pages to see what they say/do.

As I mentioned before if I was going to get just one of them, I am pretty sure I'd go for the VSmile - as DD uses that most.

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 20:56:28

dh prefers the vsmile, so ill think we will go with that. getting both would be overload anyway i think, and maybe we could get the other at christmas!

Hulababy Thu 18-Aug-05 21:09:53

That's 'cos you DH wants to play the platform game bit I bet You can buy second controllers for two player games, and I definitely recommend getting a power pack for it too.

nailpolish Thu 18-Aug-05 21:10:55

exactly - he says it reminds him of his first console!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now