Talk

Advanced search

Rant about sales calls from bank ... ARGH!

(11 Posts)
GeorginaA Wed 17-Aug-05 09:22:34

I hate hate hate HATE it.

Firstly they always call you in the evening when you're in the middle of something. Secondly they "take you through security" - like that's secure for anyone other than them! I have no way of proving that it's who they say they are - only their word as they called me. In the meantime they get 2 letters of my password and other security details if you're stupid enough to give them out to a complete stranger on the phone. But they get shirty if you refuse and call them back on the official number.

THEN they ask you zillions of personal questions regarding the account (like it's any of their business. Is there money in there? Yes. Is it in the red? No. Then piss off then, no I'm not telling you how much I earn and how I use each of my accounts and if I have accounts elsewhere) and try and sell you other products. All under the guise of checking you are still happy with their service. No I'm NOT bloody happy, you're interrupting MY evening, interrogating MY use of MY account and trying to sell me uncompetitive products while pretending to be concerned for my welfare.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Breathe, Georgina .... breathe.

Bozza Wed 17-Aug-05 09:34:02

Oooh yes. I used the telephone preference service to stop sales calls. But unfortunately because you have a bank account they can try and sell you totally uncompetitive credit cards and loans and payment protection.

We are currently changing current a/cs though so will see if the situation improves.

gigglinggoblin Wed 17-Aug-05 09:35:27

have you ranted at the bank about this?

GeorginaA Wed 17-Aug-05 09:41:38

Just have - been told it'll take FIVE WEEKS before they can put a stop to sales calls from them. FIVE WEEKS - it takes five seconds to write in big capital letters on the account DO NOT PHONE THIS WOMAN UNLESS IRREGULARITIES ON THE ACCOUNT! Doesn't it?! Or am I being incredibly naive?

tarantula Wed 17-Aug-05 09:41:46

Complain complain and then complain some more and if that doesnt work move banks. Ive never had a phone call but do get emails but they are easy to deal with and i just delete them (Im with co-op/smile). If the sales people get shirty with you get shirty back and tell them in no uncertain terms that you are not giving out your details to anyone who calls up and to 'P*SS OFF'. This is SERIOUSLY poor security and you dont want to know and then put the phone down.

Milge Wed 17-Aug-05 09:44:04

call your bank and asked to be put on their "no marketing" list. Also register for the telephone preference service which bans cold callers = www.tps.co.uk or something like that. I think registration takes 28 days and if you receive sales calls after that, you can make a complaint to your bank.

Milge Wed 17-Aug-05 09:44:04

call your bank and asked to be put on their "no marketing" list. Also register for the telephone preference service which bans cold callers = www.tps.co.uk or something like that. I think registration takes 28 days and if you receive sales calls after that, you can make a complaint to your bank.

gigglinggoblin Wed 17-Aug-05 09:44:08

may or may not be the same but bt sales calls are made by people who have no access to your account so writing it on the computer wouldnt help cos all they have is a list of names (is probably printed off 5 weeks in advance or something). thats why they have to ask if your account is in the red cos they dont know anything about you

janinlondon Wed 17-Aug-05 09:48:51

Georgina I just simply say I'm sorry, I have no way of knowing you are who you are and I'm not prepared to discuss my account details with you on the phone. Then I hang up. They usually stop WITHIN five weeks if you do this!

GeorginaA Wed 17-Aug-05 10:20:38

Damn, tarantula - was thinking of switching to smile - sounds like they have the same policy!

Yep, am going to write a follow up letter of complaint I think, just to emphasise what terrible security practise it is. Janinlondon - tried that last night, he just kept talking over me, it was so rude. Did put the phone down in the end, though.

MaggieW Wed 17-Aug-05 11:34:11

Next time, do what my mother-in-law does, take the call and ask them to hold for a minute while you get the door/take the pan off the stove etc etc. Leave the phone off the receiver, don't go back to it and they'll soon get the message. Or do what my husband did - put on a funny voice and say press 1 for (your name), press 2 for (partner's name), press 3 for to repeat the options, then say "we do not recognise your selection" and hang up! The funny thing was the person at the bank actually pressed the relevant number to be put through. Gave us a laugh anyway....seriously though, signing up with telephone preference service works, apart from computer generated calls announcing winning cruises in Florida. For those I put the phone by the radio, and let them pay the bill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now