Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

leather sofas??

(52 Posts)
sparklymieow Fri 12-Aug-05 13:12:37

me and DH have decided we would like a leather sofa in the new house. We both like the corner units, but do they have enough room for 2 adults and 3 kids. I have nearly 500 pounds saved up and think I will have about another 300-400 by the time we move. I want something that will last. Can anyone give any recomendations??

MascaraOHara Fri 12-Aug-05 13:15:06

I desperately wanted a leather corner - I have a leather 3 piece at the moment.

Leather fab for kids. Dfs do a huge one in white - it's gorgeous from the Linda Barker range. Had my heart set on it but it wouldn't fit in my lounge then my friend ordered exactly the one I wanted.

DFS had a load in there sale I think.

I found loads of lovely ones online when looking but all started at about £1500 (at least)

Good luck with the quest!

munz Fri 12-Aug-05 13:17:48

oooooooooooooooh no don't get white, of cream we have that so far no children but with two dogs and a v messy DH who works on ladrovers in the army all day mine's never clean always looks a mess and dirty cos I haven't the time/patience to clean it - MIL's thou is blue which is a nice colour, and my parents have just got a deep tan one which again is nice. (I personally don't like the black leather) def don't get cream thou - shows up everything.

sparklymieow Fri 12-Aug-05 13:18:07

I really like this one from DFS but not sure if it will be big enough for all of us!

MascaraOHara Fri 12-Aug-05 13:19:11

Mine's cream at the moment - it's brill. Occassionally you have to give it a wipe if someone has been sityting on it with dark denim but it's no biggy

MascaraOHara Fri 12-Aug-05 13:20:20

That's it I think, but I thought it was the other way round and had legs so now I'm a bit confused!

sparklymieow Fri 12-Aug-05 13:20:24

we did want cream, the kids are banned from eating in the new house, only at the table in the dining room or garden.

spidermama Fri 12-Aug-05 13:20:52

I love my green Chesterfield which I bought from ebay secondhand. It cost £250 including delivery.

sparklymieow Fri 12-Aug-05 13:23:21

we currently have two 3 seater sofa that I brought from courts about 3 years ago, but they look so dirty. I have to keep removing the covering and washing them, so I want something that will be able to be wipe cleaned. We are rehoming our dog, because he needs a lot of attention and we don't have the time, so SIL is taking him in.

feelingold Fri 12-Aug-05 13:36:06

I have 1x3 seater and 1x2 seater leather sofas in chocolate brown in my lounge and a cream leather 2 seater in my dining room, they wipe clean fantastically but I find I am cleaning the cream one every couple of days cos everytime you sit on it with jeans on or the kids put a dirty hand near it every mark shows up where as the brown ones are fantastic and only need quicky wiping over weekly and proper cleaning every couple of months or so.
My friend has a corner suite and there are 4 of them and they have plenty of room, but they also have a foot stool which they use as an extra seat when visitors come.

munz Fri 12-Aug-05 13:38:18

fg - do u find the dirt gets into the grain of the sofa?

mumfor1sttime Fri 12-Aug-05 13:56:10

We have two chocolate brown colour leather sofas, very easy to keep clean, hoover them with a soft brush attachment, and wipe with a slight damp soft cloth. Got them from homebase last year - £399 for both in a sale!

sparklymieow Fri 12-Aug-05 14:23:30

dh has his heart set on a cream one, he wants to posh

sparklymieow Fri 12-Aug-05 14:26:38

to be posh...

feelingold Fri 12-Aug-05 18:47:57

munz - no the dirt comes off quite easily it's just the fact that I have to clean them so often that's the problem. Would not choose cream again whilst I have kids, would definitely choose a darker colour cos the brown ones are fab.

sparklymieow Fri 12-Aug-05 18:52:48

whats a good guide price for a decent leather sofa, I have seen some in Argos for 599 but I am not sure if the quality will be up to much.

moondog Fri 12-Aug-05 18:54:48

I'm spidermama. Always wanted a Chesterfiled. Old ones are even better. Been searching for one for years.

vickiyumyum Fri 12-Aug-05 18:58:52

generally as a rule with leather sofas the more you can afford to pay the better the quailty. there are different grades for leather, some more suitable for general everyday use than others. but i'm not sure which is which i'm sure ther are websites out there to help.

also the cheaper ones can br more pvc looking than leather even if they are leather iyswim. leather that is soft and supple ages well, and for what its worth the brown leather furniture looks great with age whereas the lighter colours can stain and go off colour with age.

am deeply jealous though we wanted a corner sofa for the new house when we moved in but had to settle for 2 2seater sofas as the hall way is so bloody narrow and all the corner ones we looked at were too wide to go through the hallway or frontdoor.as it is we ended up having to take a window out to put the sofas in. will probably have to break these ones up to get them out when we want new ones! so don't forget before you commit to buy check your hallway and door widths to make sure that the one you buy will go through it (oh and try somewhere other than dfs, again i'm proabbly biased as at old house we had a dfs sofa and it was crap, fell apart easily and there were loads of probs re delivery.) sorry don't mean to be a moaning minnie!

fairydust Fri 12-Aug-05 19:01:08

we have cream leather sofa's and have never had problems with the marks etc and clean them as and when required. they don't seem to need doing that often

serenity Fri 12-Aug-05 19:06:14

My BF has bought the Argos ones last year or the year before, she bought the 3 seater and got the 2 seater free. Hers is fine, a bit narrower than I like (I'm tall and I like to curl up on my sofa ), but the quality is good. She's got 3 kids, a DP two cats and a dog, and she CMs as well and the sofas look good. If they can stand up to that they can handle anything! Hers are black leather though (which does look a bit cheap - she'll kill me for saying that!)

Ours are chocolate brown, and bigger. We got ours from DFS and it's fab. We had one with washable covers before and I just got fed up with washing them every week. These ones wipe down easily, and I just do it with baby wipes so far. Love 'em!

nutcracker Fri 12-Aug-05 19:29:54

We have 2 choccie leather sofas from Argos, they are the by the 3 seater get the 2 seater free ones and they are fantastic.

Had them 12 mths now and they still look like new.

TBH I personally wouldn't have cream. My friend has cream ones and they do look grubby.

steffee Sat 13-Aug-05 16:44:29

I have been in love with the idea of a navy blue leather corner sofa since I saw it in my friends house. She's German and when she first moved here (1999 or something) she brought it with her. It's gorgeous, and still looks brand new now though it must be about ten years old!

So I like blue, but have never seen one like this one... I also love her leather coat!

spangles Sat 13-Aug-05 17:14:12

We have been looking around for a new sofa and now we have 2 kids we wanted leather. Saw one we liked in DFS but when we came home to measure up properly we found it too big for our lounge! Have heard a few bad reports about DFS and although I dont mind paying more for a good quality sofa I dont want to pay more for something thats not going to "go the distance"
Havent considered argos coz I thought they wouldnt be much good but I am going to get the argos book out after tea. I am after a chocolate brown leather 2 seater and 3 seater sofas. Any advice please.

bubblerock Sat 13-Aug-05 18:30:29

I just gave away two cream ones as they were too big for our room now and I also got fed up with cleaning them - major problem with biro!
I would definately have leather again but not cream!

strugstu Sat 13-Aug-05 19:25:52

oh gawd - i'm awaiting delivery of three piece from land of leather - in cream hope i've made the right decision

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now