Talk

Advanced search

medised...

(11 Posts)
lunarx Thu 11-Aug-05 16:01:11

i got this yesterday at the chemists.
i was wondering who else here has used it..and what you think of it..
ds is teething terrible and i wanted something to help him sleep better. the chemist recommended this.

franch Thu 11-Aug-05 16:07:40

You'll prob find loads in the archive on this lunarx. We've used it loads with DD and found it the most effective thing for the teething/not sleeping combo.

MarsLady Thu 11-Aug-05 16:09:33

My GP was the first person to suggest this to me. We never run out. Always have some in the cupboard. Wonderful stuff!

jessicaandbumpsmummy Thu 11-Aug-05 16:09:42

bloody fantastic until your darling child decides they dont like strawberry flavoured ANYTHING.... calpol is out the window here too!

I hide medised in her bottle now!

Lio Thu 11-Aug-05 16:26:48

Love medised - ds does too. Works like a charm.

expatinscotland Thu 11-Aug-05 16:40:50

I agree. ALWAYS keep some in the cupboard. Have to hide it in her drink, like JABM, but it's the best when they've got a rough cold and can't sleep for being bunged up.

lunarx Thu 11-Aug-05 22:59:53

i used it tonight. 5ml before dinner. in 45 minutes he was yawning and rubbing his eyes. and fell asleep. no problem.... although i did have to give it to him in a bit of mango juice!
i guess the test will be how well he sleeps tonight!!

bambi06 Thu 11-Aug-05 23:22:24

wonderful stuff,helps them sleep. calms fevers, dries up mucus what more could you ask for!!

MaggieW Fri 12-Aug-05 08:04:04

I have used medised too and think it can be very useful. However, when we were in NZ when DD was 10 months I took her to the Dr as she seemed to have an ear infection (was just a heavy cold). Said we'd used Medised and the Dr was horrified. Said he was strongly against using anything with antihistamine in it for babies under 1 year as it can interfere with breathing. I haven't seen any research to back it up, but it was enough to put me off using it until she was older. Personally I don't think it's appropriate for teething - I think Nurofen is better for pain - and I have to say I know of several people who use it quite regularly to get their kids to sleep, which I do find quite disturbing, even though I understand the parents desperation for some peace and quiet.

lunarx Fri 12-Aug-05 08:59:50

nurofen did nothing (or very little) for his teething pain. none the less, the medised seemed to work, but he did wake at/around 1am, crying, soooo today its back to an active day of toddler entertaining and walking to help him sleep better..i might also try to keep him awake an extra hour (he usually goes to bed at 5.30pm the last few nights).
when he was 10 months old and had problems sleeping, the GP recommended a sedative to give him!! hows that for disturbing!!! the GP never once told us about sleep training/controlled crying any of it!! i did speak to my HV and did some research!! that worried me. we have since changed GPs within the practice.

i didnt mention, but ds is 13.5 months old. and i have read similar things about not giving babies under a year antihistamines as it can interfer with the breathing pattern and the normal sleep/deep sleep/light waking patterns of a babies sleep.

i guess i'll just keep it for nights when its really bad or when he's sick :x

(although i am finding distraction to be a great way away from his pain...at least sometimes!!)

flamesparrow Fri 12-Aug-05 09:06:48

Glad it helped... It has the opposite effect on DD and sends her hyper, but I didn't get a chance to warn you

Or my mum thinking of that... she has fun the night she had her and decided to dose her up cos she was poorly

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: