Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Anyone got a Vauxhall Zafira?

(26 Posts)
bubbaloo Wed 03-Aug-05 14:00:52

Just wondered if anyone has one of these.
We've recently had our ds and are finding our car isn'e big enough anymore,especially as we've one of these big and bulky travel systems!
dh thought the Zafira might be ideal.
Any views? good and bad please.

TIA

gingerbear Wed 03-Aug-05 14:03:36

I know that Yorkiegirl has one, and has two young DD's and she really rates it. I think she is on holiday this week though, so probably won't be able to reply?

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 14:05:23

janh posted a website for reviews of cars - i think it was called honest john

006 Wed 03-Aug-05 14:06:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emmatom Wed 03-Aug-05 14:06:24

Get one!!! I had a Ford Galaxy before but felt like I was driving a bus and although the back seats went down they didn't go flat into the floor which was a pain.

The Zafira however has rear seats which lie flush with the floor when down and create a huge boot. My two kids bikes go in there along with the shopping.

Loads of room, not too bulky. Great car.

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 14:06:31

honest john

IvortheEngine Wed 03-Aug-05 14:29:15

I have one and I'm very happy with it. It's easy to drive and easy to park. My chidren are older, though, double figures but I think it would have been a good car to have when they were little, too. HTH.

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 14:43:51

I have a 2002 2.0 diesel, bubbaloo, and it is v v useful and a nice drive.

If you can afford it I would get the brand new one which has just come out - you get a lot of features included, and they have fixed most of the niggly things from the older models eg lap belt only on middle seat and not being able to split the middle row to slide it forward to access the 3rd row (ie if anyone is sitting there they all have to get out to move it)..hm, Honest John says "centre seats modified so outer two can move closer if middle seat not being used" - not sure how that works! (But AFAIK there is still nowhere to stash the parcel shelf when you are using the 3rd row.)

It's great being able to carry extra bods when necessary and the rear seats fold flat into the floor when you don't need them.

Nice prices here .

Channel 4 likes it!

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 14:45:14

Thanks to my deputy linkmeister bundle btw

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 14:48:12

the pleasure is mine janh

throckenholt Wed 03-Aug-05 14:48:13

I have heard lots of people on parenting websites say they have them and really like them.

cerys Wed 03-Aug-05 14:52:35

We've got one! 2004 model so there are 3 lap and diagonal belts in middle row. The boot is huge - fitted double buggy (side by side style) in with room to spare.
There's the issue of the spare wheel being underneath and accessible to determined thieves and the parcel shelf has lost its 2 springs so doesn't really work at the moment, but they are minor niggles. We love it and we have 3 kids - 2 in booster seats with backs and one in a stage 2 carseat.

bubbaloo Wed 03-Aug-05 15:05:50

thanks everyone-thats really helpful and thanks for the link,bundle.

janh-wish we could get a new one but it'll have to be a couple of years old as we don't want to get a loan for it.
i think dh wants to get the same model as yours.
ive just phoned a vauxhall dealership to see if they have any,and was told they're expecting lots in the next few weeks,as people will be part exchanging for the new models.
we're going to great yarmouth for our hols in sept so really need it for then,especially as we'll have the buggy,travel cot and luggage etc...
fingers crossed we'll get one.

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 15:19:45

I just posted this link for unicorn:

auto trader

put in your own postcode and price range and it will find lots for you!

I bought ours 2 years ago from the local dealer, they were doing 0% finance on Network Q cars at the time although only on something like 60% of the price - it was about £11,500 (9 months old, 11,000 miles, I think the equivalent is quite a bit cheaper now) and I financed about £6000 over 36 months at £165 a month.

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 15:21:20

because i'm being lazy and can't be arsed to look, what's the difference between a vauxhall zafira and a citroen picasso?

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 15:25:24

picasso only has 5 seats.

(And it's a Citroen )

bundle Wed 03-Aug-05 15:32:20

oh yes. thank you

peckarollover Wed 03-Aug-05 15:39:10

I have one and love it :D

bea Wed 03-Aug-05 16:25:14

we got one about 2 weeks ago and we're still all a bit new to it but first impressions is ace!!! my only niggle is that if we have 2 car seats (maxi cosi) in the middle row and if somebody wants to sit in the back, we have to unbuckle the car seats so the middle row can slide foward as the seat belts are fixed to the side of the car... i hope that makes sense!!!)

the driving position is very comfy and it is a very roomy car without it being a tank of a mpv. have to admit though that stylisticaly speaking it rates nil points as i think they put zero imagination ionto it.... however we bought ot for its pratctical use not for ooohhh and ahhh factor (only in regards to fitting a couple of buggies and luggage in the back without having to wedge it all in!)

can i ask other zafira users would you put ch with group 1 car seats in the very back... we have maxi cosi priori seats... ta!

Yorkiegirl Wed 03-Aug-05 16:28:45

Message withdrawn

Angeliz Wed 03-Aug-05 16:28:55

oh bea that's interesting.
DP wants me to get one as dd's freinds cousinf=s often want to come along now.
I would have Brittax seat in the back and rear facing baby chair so unbuckling everything would be a nightmare.
Will wait to see what other people do.
Do you Have to move the seats forward?

puddle Wed 03-Aug-05 16:32:41

I'm thinking of getting one - is the rule the newer it is the better it's likely to be in terms of features (very very stupid about cars). Can't afford a brand new one - probably 10K max

jura Wed 03-Aug-05 16:43:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yorkiegirl Wed 03-Aug-05 16:44:11

Message withdrawn

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 22:39:51

The very new one is the bestest, puddle, but the shoulder belt in the middle seat was introduced in 2003 model year and that's the key one for carting kids around. I'm not sure if an 03 plate is definitely new enough (I think you'd have to look at the actual car) but a 53 is.

The auto trader link I posted earlier starts at £10K (highest first) and there are lots of recent models at that price round my way. Get a diesel for preference, much more economical and not very noisy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: