Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find a new car (janh??!!)

(28 Posts)
unicorn Wed 03-Aug-05 12:40:45

After another failure at MOT (plus a breakdown this morning)- and a huge repair bill, we cannot go another full year with this old banger.

Trouble is - we have very little idea re other cars (had this 10 yrs!!!)

Don't really need an MPV... but perhaps some sort of crossbreed (mazda5 or Peugeot 307 sw?)

Don't have a lot of cash to spare, so can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA

throckenholt Wed 03-Aug-05 12:42:33

what do you want to use it for, and roughly how much money do you have to spend on it ?

unicorn Wed 03-Aug-05 12:46:50

mostly short trips.. but the occasional motorway jaunt...
currently have a 1.9 td Citroen.. nice powerful engine...(prob don't really need for short trips)

money.. hmm well as little as can get away with 10 thou maybe?

throckenholt Wed 03-Aug-05 13:38:52

how many people would you usually need to fit in it?

Running costs (eg insurance, tax etc) are less with smaller cars.

tassis Wed 03-Aug-05 13:40:11

We've just bought a renault scenic to replace our focus and we love it. It's a real family car with lots of space.

throckenholt Wed 03-Aug-05 13:42:05

having no idea where you are - I just did a search on the net for a small reliable car (eg Toyota Yaris - I am pretty sure there was a survey out saying most reliable makes are Toyota and Mazda and a couple of other Japanese ones).

Came up with this - happens to be in Chelmsford - but gives you an idea of prices.

dizzymama Wed 03-Aug-05 13:46:29

I've just bought a Peugeot 206 sw and although it only has a 1.4 diesel engine it is very nippy and copes well on motorway as well as short trips. Only have to fill up once a week (sometimes not even that - every week iyswim!) and that's with driving to and fro a lot. The 306 is obviously bigger so better if you have family (it's only really me and Dd in ours). I would thoroughly recommend it.

unicorn Wed 03-Aug-05 13:48:49

4 people usually in car (but would like room for 2 more)

I'd forgotten about scenics - are they classed as mpv's?

I'm currently swayed (too easily!) by the sliding doors of the Mazda5.. and the glass roof of the peugeot 307 tho..

ahhhh it is all too much (why we stuck with old car for so long!)

dizzymama Wed 03-Aug-05 13:51:23

Friend just bought a Honda that has three seats in the front and three in the back, he's dead chuffed with it! afraid I don't know what it is called but sure you would find it on their site.

throckenholt Wed 03-Aug-05 14:24:00

for occasional 7 seaters then maybe look at the Mazda Premacy (not sure they make them now but did a year or so ago), or maybe a vauxhall zafira.

Must admit we have sliding back doors on out mazda mpv and they are great for kids, especially young ones, and especially good in car parks.

unicorn Wed 03-Aug-05 14:50:26

are you happy with your Mazda Throckenholt?

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 14:55:01

Hi, unicorn - have you seen bubbaloo's Zafira thread today? One of those should suit you really well and now the new model has come out older ones should become cheaper (I believe that's how these things work!) I have the 2.0 diesel and it drives well and is reasonably economical.

The main thing about the Zafira vs other 6/7 seaters in the class is that it's been around for years and there are a lot of older ones about, ie cheapish - the Toyota Corolla Verso/Peugeot 307 are relatively recent and dearer.

How much can you spend on it and whereabouts are you, roughly?

throckenholt Wed 03-Aug-05 14:55:03

actually we have 2 mazdas - one a 3 year old premacy (cost ~10,000 new) and one a 2 year old mpv (cost about 14,000 new I think) (bought when we discovered we were having twins in addition to our existing child ).

They are both very reliable - never had any problems with either. They don't have many gadgets (although that suits us), but are easy to drive and spacious. Insurance is not to bad. Premacy is petrol and a bit thirsty (mid 30's mpg), the mov is diesel and much better.

Would recommend either.

unicorn Wed 03-Aug-05 14:59:28

Janh - still not sure about an mpv (even a small one) felt a bit strange when I did a test drive of one a while back - too high up!
the neighbours (those with 4 kids!) moan about it too (but they need a bus tbqh!)

We're in London...

Mazda was the car I learnt to drive in (many, many, many, years ago), so am quite nostalgic!

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 15:13:46

The Zafira is the same size as an Astra though, and only slightly higher up - I love it, I hate driving DH's ordinary car, I feel as if I'm practically sitting on the road!

Some West London Zafiras to look at - starting at £4250. Put your own postcode in and your own price range and see what you can find, and you can look for anything else you're interested in too (only 3 pages of Mazda Premacys vs 20 of Zafiras but you can widen the search area too).

bubbaloo Wed 03-Aug-05 15:25:35

janh-what a great link.think i'll be looking on there.

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 15:29:40

Coo, this one looks cool!

bubbaloo Wed 03-Aug-05 15:31:34

yeah,not bad.i'll show dh when he gets in,thanks.

Janh Wed 03-Aug-05 15:34:56

I just looked at it again and thought it said it has dreadlocks, lol

Bozza Wed 03-Aug-05 15:38:06

Do many ordinary cars ie not MPVs have 6 seats?

Kayleigh Wed 03-Aug-05 15:43:44

We have a Mitsubishi Space Wagon which will seat 7 (there is a lap belt in middle for a 3rd person) although I wouldn't want to do a long journey with 7. But very comfortable for 6. Have had it over 4 years and am very happy with it.

There are a couple of reveiews and a here

Kayleigh Wed 03-Aug-05 15:44:16

meant to say "and a PICTURE" - really should preview !

bubbaloo Wed 03-Aug-05 15:44:59

lol

unicorn Wed 03-Aug-05 15:46:34

nice, but it looks a bit big for me kayleigh - have problems parking at the best of times.!

those zafiras are good price tho..

Kayleigh Wed 03-Aug-05 15:50:03

think if you look at the measurements there isn't that much in it between the space wagon and some of the mpv's - i felt the same as you did but dh proved that it wasn't actually any longer - it looks that way because it isn't as high. Hmmm let me have a little hunt around ......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now