Talk

Advanced search

Fiat multipla - pros and cons please

(35 Posts)
allatsea Mon 01-Aug-05 10:38:55

Am thinking of needing a multi-seat car, but would like to avoid a full size MPV
What's the original Multipla like? Can the rear seats be folded over to increase boot space? What's the rear leg room like, especially behind the middle seat?
If not this, what should I get for Dh, 4yo DD, 1 yo DS, 73 yr old, 6'2" grandfather and 5'2" arthritic grandmother????

stacijc Mon 01-Aug-05 11:03:17

so u need a 7 seater really???
erm....
we have a tacuma but thats no good for u....

I personally hate the multipla because it reminds me of an insect lol!!!!

sorry not much help .... have u tried typingin 7 seater cars in a search engine?

Gillian76 Mon 01-Aug-05 11:06:12

I always thought thw Multipla would be a good compromise, but it occurred to me when I saw one yesterday... Would you really like to go on a long journey with a third person in the front seat between driver and passenger?

We have a VW Sharan and I love the feeling of space. Having said that, I have never actually been in the Multipla. I'm sure some fans will come along and extol its tardis-like qualities

meggymoo Mon 01-Aug-05 11:06:46

Message withdrawn

gscrym Mon 01-Aug-05 11:11:56

My brother in law works for Fiat and he can't praise it high enough. He says it's extremely comfortable and easy to drive. The only thing that lets it down is it's looks. DH has driven them as well and loves driving them but couldn't face opening the curtains to see on staring back at him in the morning.

allatsea Mon 01-Aug-05 11:35:06

The new ones are much more 'normal' looking. I've looked at the Grand Scenic etc, but I think it'll be hard to get grandparent or children into the rear seats, has anyone had a look at the Mazda5?

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 11:46:09

The Chrysler Voyager has its seats in a 2-2-3 formation I think (rather than 2-3-2 like most), with a space between the door and the first of the 2 middle row seats, so it's much easier to access the rear - is that any help?

allatsea Mon 01-Aug-05 11:47:59

Is that on the 'Grand' one do you know Jahn?

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 11:54:35

Ah - they do have only 2 middle seats but no side space any more - pictures . However apparently the seats fold into the floor which would make access much easier.

Channel 4 recommends Citroen C8/Peugeot 807/Fiat Ulysse - large sliding side doors make it easy to get in the back apparently.

I would have a Toyota Previa meself

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 11:54:54

I will check, hang on a sec!

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 11:58:08

Blimey, you could get an elephant in here!

interior arrangements

allatsea Mon 01-Aug-05 11:59:23

Second hand Previa seem either rare as hens teeth or really expensive, but they do have sliding doors which I think will be a real plus in parking and getting the the Aged Ps. They don't still have little curtains at the back do they??

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 12:03:54

And look at the amount of luggage space with all 7 seats in use! Very impressive.

If you really really want curtains you will have to look for a Hi-Ace I think (aged Japanese import )

Oooh look! - this one has a chandelier!

allatsea Mon 01-Aug-05 12:05:26

WoW! But where can i find one???

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 12:06:56

Auto Trader has 50 nationwide £12000+

wordgirl Mon 01-Aug-05 12:07:05

The new Mazda 5 is a 6 + 1 and has sliding doors. There are 3 seats in the second row but the middle one folds away when not in use and is a bit smaller than a normal seat so probably no good for long journeys etc.

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 12:07:29

(That's Previas, not Hiaces with curtains)

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 12:10:02

Diesel one (v rare but worth getting) for £15K

tabitha Mon 01-Aug-05 12:11:25

I have a 'new' Multipla so can't really speak for the old one although my impressions are that the original Multipla is not that dissimilar to the new one except for outward appearance, ie more 'froglike'.
I would definitely recommend the new one although it took me a while to get used to it. You have great visibility, loads of room, it's versatile - can remove all/some of the back seats or fold them over, and even the boot is a reasonable size. It's also easier to put babies into (seats at a more reasonable height) and my 1 year old is much happier in it than in our old car (Vauxhall Astra) because she sees so much more out of the window. Rear leg room is okay. It is also surprisingly really easy to park.
Only downside for me is that fuel economy is not great.

allatsea Mon 01-Aug-05 12:11:44

How come I didn't find it on autotrader??? Grrr

lilibet Mon 01-Aug-05 12:17:03

We have a new one and love it. Just came back from France and it was the best journey that we have ever had as we had sooooo much room.
Fil has the old one and there is very little difference apart form the outside - I really like the old outside, but I know that some people don't.

We wanted the Fiat instead of a 7 seater as with 7 seaters when you are using all seven seats the boot room is minimal and we need a big boot.

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 12:18:47

Previa has a huge boot, lil

(See my 12.03 link)

They cost more though, admittedly. But then again they are Toyotas...

allatsea Mon 01-Aug-05 12:19:05

with the old multipla, can the rear seats be folded over to make a larger boot space?

Janh Mon 01-Aug-05 12:26:33

Look up the old Multipla on Honest John - not keen.

(Honest John is fab. Look up any model you're interested in - he pulls no punches!)

lilibet Mon 01-Aug-05 12:34:18

but on this the old one was voted as mpv of the year, I think it was two years ago and the new one si still rated very highly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now