Talk

Advanced search

Help ?Can't decide Micralite or 3 wheeler?

(27 Posts)
wysiwyg Fri 29-Jul-05 21:15:33

I want to get a new buggy for DS. He is 8 months now. I need something that will sit in the boot of my car, be easy to put up/down, manoevrable (!) around shops, but v comfortable for baby too.
I do plenty of walking, although not really on rugged terrain.
I quite like the look of the Micralite - stylish and modern - only drawback is that the actual seat of it seems v small. Today I went shopping and saw a Outnabout Nipper Stroller (Instep) which I really like the look of - it's also very compact which folded and fits in my boot ok, but am concerned too big for round the shops. But the seat is really comfy for DS, multi recline levels etc.
Help? (Don't really want to spend more than £200 or buy 2 buggies - I also have a pram)

wysiwyg Fri 29-Jul-05 21:17:10

Sorry should have stressed that the Outnabout Nipper is a 3 wheeler stroller in case wasn't clear.

misdee Fri 29-Jul-05 21:44:26

i have a quinny zapp, very small when folded, good seat size for dd2, can adapt to travel system. doesnt recline and no shopping basket included, but am working on trying to get one sorted.

vickiyumyum Fri 29-Jul-05 21:53:48

imo the micralite doesn't last for agreat amount of time. my ds was too big for it by the age of 2 and jsut looked silly in it, because it has quite a small seat. the quinny zapp that misdee emntions is good as it is a three wheeler but fold very compactly, although doesn't lie back at all. if you like the styling of it then it would be a good choice.

wysiwyg Fri 29-Jul-05 22:10:18

Thanks. I did start off by looking at the Quinny Zapp but was put off by the lack of storage pockets or shopping net and not being able to recline. Also I had a "push" of one today and it didn't feel that solid/ sturdy to me. Misdee are you happy with it in these respects?
Vickiyumyum - thanks for the comments about the size of the Micralite - Certainly would put me off if DS was too big for it at 2. I don't plan on buying another.

vickiyumyum Fri 29-Jul-05 22:11:37

i would also recommend buying second hand as well, as these are fairly new buggies and there are lots of buggyaholics out there willing to sell off oldish ones to get there next obsession.

try ebay or the freeads!

vickiyumyum Fri 29-Jul-05 22:14:44

i recently sold my zapp, was going to sell it to misdee but she found one cheaper on ebay!!!

if i was to buy one agan i would buy one of those net bags that you can get from mothercare to store the raincover etc in. it ould last longer than the micralite in terms of size of child. i just thought i wanted one because i kept seeing them everywhere and then when i got it decided my ds2 was too big for such an expensive buggy and brought a mothercare £30 stroller.

misdee Fri 29-Jul-05 22:32:02

i can push my dd2 who is over 40lb in weight in it very easily. its pretty sturdy, atm am using it mainly as a travel system, tho did u it as a buggy last weekend and even my 5yr old climbed into easily for a ride. i got mine for £105 all-in on ebay.

wysiwyg Fri 29-Jul-05 23:53:53

Yeh I have been having a look on Ebay - they had new Micralites - but the bidding ended up at nearly shop prices anyway.
I'm definitely not turned on by the Zapp anymore.
Don't think I am a buggyaholics but I know several friends who've had 4 prams/buggies per child.
I have to admit this is more about DS having something new, and not everything inherited from his big sister, rather than really needing a new set of wheels.
You both sound pretty clued up - what's the coolest 3 wheeler/jogger around - or are they going out now with Bugaboo etc (which look awful IMO)?

lydz Sat 30-Jul-05 12:17:31

I have a Micralite and don't find it too small for DD aged 2, fwiw, but she's not a huge chunky child. I use it for the 1 mile (urban) walk to school and around the shops, as I find 3 wheelers far too heavy and clumsy, but want the big tyres for a smooth ride. It is a bit flimsy though and the raincover is really hard to use (DD holds her own umbrella, bless her!) I would cautiously recommend the Micralite as a good all round buggy.

Teaandcake Thu 04-Aug-05 10:03:34

Hi, IMO the Micralite is OK but dosn't do anything particularly well. Yes, the seat is on the small side and it does not recline (sorry, just a bug-bear of mine perhaps). The front wheels have been known to snap off (I work in nursery retail and see all the broken prams come back).

The best buggy on the market is the Maclaren Techno. It has a big, roomy seat which fully reclines, good sized wheels, an easy to use raincover, a decent sized shopping basket and it folds down to a respectable size for the boot. I know I've gone on about it before, but it really is an excellent all-round product.

mintenz Thu 04-Aug-05 14:23:53

I thought the brakes were the problem on Maclarens. And has anyone tried the quinny urban stroller? Can you put a buggy board on it?

Eaney Thu 04-Aug-05 14:56:53

I think the front wheels in the Micralite are an real weakness. They are quite flimsy and creak quite a bit.
On the plus side it is very light and folds very well but the seat is a problem for us as my dd looks really uncomfortable in it. She is 6 mths old.

It's meant to be used from 6mths onwards.

Not sure if I would reccomend it.

vickiyumyum Thu 04-Aug-05 18:38:49

i think that the nicest three wheelers about are either mountain buggies (some good bargains on ebay, although still about £200, or the jane powertrack 360. i like both of these because of the swivel wheel and i have had both of them my favourite of the two was the mountain buggy for when ds2 was younger as i liked the seat better it was more snug than the jane which has a very wide seat and he still looks ok in it at 3.5, but when he was about 10 months found it was difficult fr him to sit upright as the back slants slightly even at its most upright.

I have a mamas and papas 03 series for sale for £100 which has a fixed wheel, footmuff and raincover! only used about 4 or 5 times because of my complete buggy obsession. or you can buy the newer versions witht eh swivel wheel for about £190 in the mamas and papas shop.

and quite a few of my friends swear by the mothercare urban detour range of three wheelers, they say that they do the job of the more expensive brands but for a lot less (must admit the main reason i didn't buy one of these was just being a label snob and nothing to do with the actual buggy itself, sad i know)

god just realised how sad i sound, i did used to work in a buggy shop so it was my job to know about ehm all!

treacletart Thu 04-Aug-05 19:32:28

couple of old micralite threads here and here you might find useful. Reckon I might have one of the oldest micralites on Mumsnet - had it for nearly 2 years ago and its still going strong if a little bit rickety - still fits Ds fine at 25 months but I'm not sure its ever been that comfy for him. Very easy to push though - even one handed. Not sure I'd recommend it only because there are so many new designs since ... like the look of a Mutsy myself

mintenz Fri 05-Aug-05 19:32:53

vickiyummum - you sound just the right person to answer this question: what is the best buggy for a buggy board? I am tortured by this - need to sort it out soon before the shcool term.

crazylegs Sun 19-Aug-07 18:29:42

I have a micralite and we love it - but does anyone know whether you can get a buggy board to fit the micralite?

Haneen Thu 30-Aug-07 16:40:08

Hi guys I have a micralite fast fold pushchair to sell with a maxi cosi car seat and its adopters to the pushchiar along side two rain covers for the pushchair and the carseat as well as a micralite footmuff all in black.
Anyone interested please e-mail me on haneen85@hotmail.com. Am selling it becuase I need a double pushchair, it is in good condition and the price am looking @ around £150 for everything by the it's worth more than £330

indiasmum Thu 30-Aug-07 16:52:39

i have 3 kids and have had very many buggies. my absolute fave has been my landrover 3 wheeler which you cant even get anymore and is shockingly expensive anyway and my micraalite which i have now. its is fab to fold, carry and manoevre round town and on rougher terrain you just tilt it onto its back wheels. the my dd still is v comfy in it and doesnt look ridiculous is 2 and 8 months and still has plenty of room in it. the only downside is the shopping basket is awkward to get to and you cant really put shopping on handles as it is backheavy and will tip over because it is so light. i recommend it to everyone!

MummyDarlingSausage Thu 30-Aug-07 17:00:11

The new Micralite (Toro) does recline. I heard that the older ones had wheel problems but I think they have improved on the older model. I have had one for about a month now for my ds (7 mnths) and it is great. Fold super quick and in one piece which is brilliant after having a bugabbo which was a hassle. Also the seat looks comfier on the Toro than the bugaboo. My dd (4) use to have a zapp and I only think they are suitable for shopping being light to push so I wasn't impressed and eventually sold it.

LIZS Thu 30-Aug-07 17:01:07

how old is this thread lol !

Haneen Thu 30-Aug-07 17:07:52

guys if you know anyone is interested in buying a micralight package please pass my e-mail to them haneen85@hotmail.com thanx

LIZS Thu 30-Aug-07 17:09:07

try the For Sale section .

Haneen Thu 30-Aug-07 17:10:40

where is that on this site?? am a new member oh by the way nice to meet you grin

LIZS Thu 30-Aug-07 17:33:07

and you ! Try here and don't forget to come back to the other topics , sometimes Mnetters who sell and buy stick to just those threads which seems a shame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now