Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Present for new baby boy - advice please!

(18 Posts)
Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 12:52:11

My niece had a little boy last month and we are going to see him next weekend and I haven't a clue what to get for him!

I was just looking at jojomamanbebe and I love their Polartec fleece things - the baby poncho or the all-in-one - has anybody used either, are they good? (My niece is very stylish, I wonder if she'd prefer pastel or pattern or neither...)

His birthweight was 9.6 so he's quite big but presumably 6-12 months would last through the winter?

Any other recommendations, please? (Bearing in mind that I've left this so late I only have a week to get it!)

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 12:53:54

Not last month, this month, he's 3 weeks old!

edodgy Fri 29-Jul-05 12:56:32

I'd go for the poncho and im stylish too

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 13:01:13

Oh thanks, edodgy!

Sky do you think? And mittens/hat too or is the hood enough? (The hat ties on so might be useful later?)

(I can't believe I used to do this. I will so not be an interfering grandma when my time comes!)

edodgy Fri 29-Jul-05 13:04:05

Yeah definately sky and mittens and hat would be lovely too.

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 13:31:27

The mitts only come in age 1-2 for some reason

Still swithering - they have some lovely first toys too! - anybody got any other suggestions (ie not necessarily from jjmb)?

Magscat Fri 29-Jul-05 13:39:52

I bought this floppy rabbit for dd when she was born.
She's 6 motnhs now & loves it - it's really soft & sqeezable

Magscat Fri 29-Jul-05 13:40:50

Or they do a set too:
baby set with rabbit

emily05 Fri 29-Jul-05 13:42:32

This might sound odd - but are they just starting out and a bit hard up for cash? we were when we had ds and I really appreciated it when people brought stuff like this

Marina Fri 29-Jul-05 13:43:11

A buggysnuggle will last longer and there are some trendy ones around.

I've always found JJMB stuff good quality but their sizings bizarre - rather boxy. Short bodies, and wide. I have some old stock vests that are practically square, for example.

So if you go for the all-in-one Jan I'd actually choose 12-18 months to be sure of through the winter. Dd was 9lb at birth, I was harried by the HV because of her unimpressive weight gain, but she was still in 12-18 month JJMB stuff by 9 months...

Congratulations great aunty!

Nbg Fri 29-Jul-05 13:44:04

DD got that floppy rabbit as one of her christening presents. It is lovely, very soft.

I love the poncho but the only problem with them is that it's really hard to strap the LO in to car seat/pushchair with them on as they don't have arms IYSWIM.

Bagpuss30 Fri 29-Jul-05 13:57:29

Janh, dd had an all in one from there when she was one and I thought it was fab - the turn over hands and feet are a really good idea and better than mittens imo. Marina is spot on with the sizing though, it is strange. Another idea would be a baby t-shirt from No Added Sugar. We got one for friends last year like this and it went down very well indeed.

HTH

Tinker Fri 29-Jul-05 15:10:38

Bob&Blossom stuff is quite cute as well

katierocket Fri 29-Jul-05 15:13:17

brora cashmere
if you see the striped hat and gloves they do for babies you will not be able to buy anything else

here

<sigh> I love this website, I regularly drool over it.

nicmum2boys Fri 29-Jul-05 15:20:10

My DS2 had the poncho from jjmb and it was invaluable. Really useful as I just had to throw it over him before leaving the house, and especially useful for say the dash between the car and the supermarket.

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 15:29:28

Some great ideas, thanks all - I googled Tinker's Bob & Blossom and came across the wee gooseberry which has B&B, also Bagpuss's No Added Sugar, as well as some other lovely sites - how to choose...???

Still quite keen on the JJMB fleece things - thanks for size advice, Marina and bagpuss. Nbg, why does the lack of sleeves matter? Don't you just tuck it in around them?

I think whatever I get I will also have to give him some kind of cuddly like Magscat's rabbit!

emily, that starter set is a fab idea but sadly (for us ) they are better off than we are - he is in the police and she is a very talented graphic designer. (The talent comes from the other side of her family!)

katierocket, the Brora stuff is gorgeous, but handwash/dry clean mittens?

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 15:29:29

Some great ideas, thanks all - I googled Tinker's Bob & Blossom and came across the wee gooseberry which has B&B, also Bagpuss's No Added Sugar, as well as some other lovely sites - how to choose...???

Still quite keen on the JJMB fleece things - thanks for size advice, Marina and bagpuss. Nbg, why does the lack of sleeves matter? Don't you just tuck it in around them?

I think whatever I get I will also have to give him some kind of cuddly like Magscat's rabbit!

emily, that starter set is a fab idea but sadly (for us ) they are better off than we are - he is in the police and she is a very talented graphic designer. (The talent comes from the other side of her family!)

katierocket, the Brora stuff is gorgeous, but handwash/dry clean mittens?

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 15:29:38

oops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now