Talk

Advanced search

From pushchairs to vacuum cleaners, we've tested hundreds of products in real homes with real families. Head over to Mumsnet Reviews to find out which ones came out on top.

Present for new baby boy - advice please!

(18 Posts)
Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 12:52:11

My niece had a little boy last month and we are going to see him next weekend and I haven't a clue what to get for him!

I was just looking at jojomamanbebe and I love their Polartec fleece things - the baby poncho or the all-in-one - has anybody used either, are they good? (My niece is very stylish, I wonder if she'd prefer pastel or pattern or neither...)

His birthweight was 9.6 so he's quite big but presumably 6-12 months would last through the winter?

Any other recommendations, please? (Bearing in mind that I've left this so late I only have a week to get it!)

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 12:53:54

Not last month, this month, he's 3 weeks old!

edodgy Fri 29-Jul-05 12:56:32

I'd go for the poncho and im stylish too

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 13:01:13

Oh thanks, edodgy!

Sky do you think? And mittens/hat too or is the hood enough? (The hat ties on so might be useful later?)

(I can't believe I used to do this. I will so not be an interfering grandma when my time comes!)

edodgy Fri 29-Jul-05 13:04:05

Yeah definately sky and mittens and hat would be lovely too.

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 13:31:27

The mitts only come in age 1-2 for some reason

Still swithering - they have some lovely first toys too! - anybody got any other suggestions (ie not necessarily from jjmb)?

Magscat Fri 29-Jul-05 13:39:52

I bought this floppy rabbit for dd when she was born.
She's 6 motnhs now & loves it - it's really soft & sqeezable

Magscat Fri 29-Jul-05 13:40:50

Or they do a set too:
baby set with rabbit

emily05 Fri 29-Jul-05 13:42:32

This might sound odd - but are they just starting out and a bit hard up for cash? we were when we had ds and I really appreciated it when people brought stuff like this

Marina Fri 29-Jul-05 13:43:11

A buggysnuggle will last longer and there are some trendy ones around.

I've always found JJMB stuff good quality but their sizings bizarre - rather boxy. Short bodies, and wide. I have some old stock vests that are practically square, for example.

So if you go for the all-in-one Jan I'd actually choose 12-18 months to be sure of through the winter. Dd was 9lb at birth, I was harried by the HV because of her unimpressive weight gain, but she was still in 12-18 month JJMB stuff by 9 months...

Congratulations great aunty!

Nbg Fri 29-Jul-05 13:44:04

DD got that floppy rabbit as one of her christening presents. It is lovely, very soft.

I love the poncho but the only problem with them is that it's really hard to strap the LO in to car seat/pushchair with them on as they don't have arms IYSWIM.

Bagpuss30 Fri 29-Jul-05 13:57:29

Janh, dd had an all in one from there when she was one and I thought it was fab - the turn over hands and feet are a really good idea and better than mittens imo. Marina is spot on with the sizing though, it is strange. Another idea would be a baby t-shirt from No Added Sugar. We got one for friends last year like this and it went down very well indeed.

HTH

Tinker Fri 29-Jul-05 15:10:38

Bob&Blossom stuff is quite cute as well

katierocket Fri 29-Jul-05 15:13:17

brora cashmere
if you see the striped hat and gloves they do for babies you will not be able to buy anything else

here

<sigh> I love this website, I regularly drool over it.

nicmum2boys Fri 29-Jul-05 15:20:10

My DS2 had the poncho from jjmb and it was invaluable. Really useful as I just had to throw it over him before leaving the house, and especially useful for say the dash between the car and the supermarket.

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 15:29:28

Some great ideas, thanks all - I googled Tinker's Bob & Blossom and came across the wee gooseberry which has B&B, also Bagpuss's No Added Sugar, as well as some other lovely sites - how to choose...???

Still quite keen on the JJMB fleece things - thanks for size advice, Marina and bagpuss. Nbg, why does the lack of sleeves matter? Don't you just tuck it in around them?

I think whatever I get I will also have to give him some kind of cuddly like Magscat's rabbit!

emily, that starter set is a fab idea but sadly (for us ) they are better off than we are - he is in the police and she is a very talented graphic designer. (The talent comes from the other side of her family!)

katierocket, the Brora stuff is gorgeous, but handwash/dry clean mittens?

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 15:29:29

Some great ideas, thanks all - I googled Tinker's Bob & Blossom and came across the wee gooseberry which has B&B, also Bagpuss's No Added Sugar, as well as some other lovely sites - how to choose...???

Still quite keen on the JJMB fleece things - thanks for size advice, Marina and bagpuss. Nbg, why does the lack of sleeves matter? Don't you just tuck it in around them?

I think whatever I get I will also have to give him some kind of cuddly like Magscat's rabbit!

emily, that starter set is a fab idea but sadly (for us ) they are better off than we are - he is in the police and she is a very talented graphic designer. (The talent comes from the other side of her family!)

katierocket, the Brora stuff is gorgeous, but handwash/dry clean mittens?

Janh Fri 29-Jul-05 15:29:38

oops

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: