Talk

Advanced search

What's the cheapest decent carseat?

(15 Posts)
Laura032004 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:08:48

My parents have just bought a second car, so I need to get another carseat. If I make a quick decision dh can buy it in the UK and bring it out to Cyprus with him.

Cheap as possible (will only get used for 6 weeks), but still decent safety wise. Any ideas? DS is nearly 16 months old, fairly long and chunky. Car to fit into will be a Landrover Discovery.

Are there other ISOFIX out there now apart from Britax? That's what we have at home, and love, but they're really expensive, so don't really want to buy that one again.

Would love to spend hours searching the internet, but only have veeeeeerrryyyy slow dial up connection here

Thanks

maybemaybenot Fri 29-Jul-05 10:15:19

My MIL got one from Argos £29.99. We used to have a Land Rover and I'm sure when MIL bought the seat we tried it out in that car but I could be wrong.

Dickers Fri 29-Jul-05 10:17:10

There was a report in Which a couple of months ago...will go and find out

Laura032004 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:18:59

Thanks for that tip MBMBN - hadn't thought of Argos. Will check them now.

Gillian76 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:30:03

HAve you tried kiddicare?

Laura032004 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:31:20

Thanks Dickers. I would like to look at that, but had all the links saved on my home computer.

Gillian76 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:32:18

this is the cheapest they have. We got one of these in a hire car recently and it was pretty good.

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 10:33:25

Laura - I got a fantastic Britax seat 9mth - 4yrs from Kiddicare. It was reduced to £59.

Laura032004 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:34:14

I had thought of trying to order one over the internet, but it would have to be from a company that delivers by post as my parents are in Cyprus (with the forces though, so could be posted by parcel post) and my dh is flying out on Monday, so not much time to sort out.

Do Kiddicare post, or is it courier delivery?

Laura032004 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:36:47

Just looked at kiddicare website, and they don't deliver to BFPO addresses.

Kelly1978 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:37:11

kiddicare is courier.

Kelly1978 Fri 29-Jul-05 10:38:06

might be worth callign htem - they are generally quite helpful.

Toothache Fri 29-Jul-05 10:38:39

Laura - Can't you have it delivered to you, then you can organise delivery to Cyprus?

Dickers Fri 29-Jul-05 10:39:36

I've had a look at the Which report the Britax Cruiser plus which apparently costs £55. They rate products in 5 categories;
black star = best
white star = 2nd best
white blob = middle of the road
half white/half black blob = 2nd to worst
black blob = worst
This seat gets a white blob for side crash and a half whaite/half balck blob for front crash

The Britax Eclipse SI @ £80 gets a half white/half black blob for front crash and a white star for side crash.

Thier best buys are:
Britax Duo plus Isofix @ £180
Mamas & papas pro tec @ £130

Laura032004 Fri 29-Jul-05 11:34:06

Gosh, it's difficult isn't it. You don't want to get a really cheap one, when you know it's been badly rated, but I don't really want to be continually swapping our other one over, which would probably mean it was incorrectly fitted some of the time.

Maybe I'll take the hit and get a Britax Isofix one, which at least I know I can swap over in under a minute with 100% perfect fitting every time. They're also on offer at Kiddicare if you can get them delivered to you.

If anybody is ever thinking of getting an Isofix carseat - we have the Britax one at home and I can't recommend it highly enough in terms of ease of use, and I believe that the Which report rated it very highly for safety.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now