Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Star wars light sabre

(19 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Jul-05 14:36:11

My soon to be 4 year old (Monday) really wants one of these, but the ones on Amazon seem really expensive for something that will inevitably break (or am I just being mean).
Have bought him tracy island from Argos which was only £15.99 so balk at spending £20 plus on a glorified sword....Anyone found anything cheaper or is the amazon one worth it?

All help appreciated

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Jul-05 14:47:01

DS got one from john lewis that lights up and when you press button hummmms

can't remember how much it was

also a double ended one from mail order with darth maul costume

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Jul-05 14:47:45

happy birthday to him for monday

NotQuiteCockney Thu 28-Jul-05 14:48:06

We have a couple of the light-up ones. They're really nice, they make noises when you hit things ... but they're really flaky, one seems fairly broken, and the other is starting to go. They have been used a lot, though.

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Jul-05 14:52:36

sorry didn't put that right when you press the button it HUMMs

Twiglett Thu 28-Jul-05 14:53:12

buy a packet of Kellogs rice crispies with the star wars promo .. they have a mini light sabre maze game in it .. DS (4.5) was extremely chuffed with it

Twiglett Thu 28-Jul-05 14:54:28

it looks like a little light sabre .. is about 3 inches long

.. oh and give him a stick for a big one

(you could check ebay if you I suppose)

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Jul-05 14:54:57

here is one although slightly different DS one is red

but it is 19.95

carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Jul-05 18:11:27

Thanks for this. It looks like its shell out £20 or nothing.... will see if my dad wants to contribute...

RTKangaMummy Thu 28-Jul-05 18:15:42

DS is 10 and so if it is taken care of and lasts then it is a toy that will grow with him IYSWIM

WideWebWitch Thu 28-Jul-05 18:18:58

Janh sent my ds 2 light sabers about 2 years ago and he still plays with them a lot. 20 mo dd picks them up and says 'Jedi!' so we've had a lot of use out of ours - we bought ds a super duper talking one too when he was 5 I think so nearly 3 years ago - and I'd say it was worth the money. He wants an Anakin one that turns from light side to dark side for his birthday and I think he will get it. Star Wars as an obsession seems to go on into adulthood! Buy it!

FIMAC1 Thu 28-Jul-05 20:30:50

Got the Amazon one two weeks ago for ds 7th (balked at the cost too but MIL bought it!) he has played with it every day, it is hard wearing and he loves it! So weighing everything up, also as they only ask for Star Wars light sabres once in their lives it is worth the £19.99 - friends have the same one and bought theirs two years ago, it is still in one piece and they have not had any problems with it

Happy birthday for Monday

saffy202 Thu 28-Jul-05 20:52:30

Bought ds2 one today from Fenwicks (also seen them in Woolies) but it isn't a light-up one, cost £7.95.

Milliways Thu 28-Jul-05 20:58:42

Have you seen this or this is funny for star wars fans. They have sold out of light sabres but were >£30 as had proper laser!

jamboure Thu 28-Jul-05 21:03:21

We bought ds1 a light saber as he desperatly wanted it- he's 3.5

We went to toys r us as we got him a darth vader dress up costume complete with mask and red light saber for £25.00

FIMAC1 Thu 28-Jul-05 21:08:33

He also loooooves his Darth Vader voice changer mask (around £30) bought by very kind uncle

wordsmith Thu 28-Jul-05 21:15:06

The boys in DS1's reception class are obsessed with light sabres but the freebie ones from Kelloggs go down best of all. Of course you have to buy the chocolate laden sugar coated cereals to find one, unless you buy a man-sized box of Rice Krispies that doesn't fit into the cupboard!

WWW I bought DS a lightsabre from Toys R Us about 2 years ago, before all the 'official' film stuff, and it was £4.99. It lights up and hums and is much more robust than the £20 ones. But when all the merchandising madness started, because it wasn't a 'proper one' I relented after weeks of badgering and got him an official one for £7.99 or so which came in a gift pack with star wars bubble bath (from woolies) - the light sabre is a bit smaller than the £20 ones and doesn't 'do' anything, but can still be used to fight the Empire. DS still prefers the mini cereal packet one, though.

emmatmg Thu 28-Jul-05 21:18:41

We bought one for DS2's birthday and absolutley every male member of our family has to do the Jedi bit when they see it.

Even if Ds2 never played with it(which he does) we certainly have had huge entertainment value from it

jamboure Sat 30-Jul-05 22:14:30

just bought an excellent light sabre in disney shop today.

got a buzz lioghtyear/toystory one in green it lights up and has sound effects only cost a fiver too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now