Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dolls for boys?

(28 Posts)
Rubineski Wed 27-Jul-05 13:17:46

Hi, it's DS's second birthday at end of august. I'm getting him a mixture of stuff but I'm wondering about whether to get him a doll. All his female friends his age have them and I like the way they look after them. I'd like to encourage his nurturing side. But am I just going against nature here? Anyone else had experience of this?

Blackduck Wed 27-Jul-05 13:19:30

Ds currently has an old doll of mine ('baby doll' as he calls her...) Can't say he 'looks after it' but then he doesn't 'look after' soft toys either...

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 13:19:51

Has he ever shown any sign of being interested in playing with them? I'd treat it like any other toy - if you think he'd play with it then buy it, if not then don't. Lots of boys at this age like dolls.

Kayleigh Wed 27-Jul-05 13:21:04

Ds1 had a doll in a buggy for his 2nd birthday. He loved it and played with it a lot. It got passed down to ds2 who is now 4 and who still plays with it. It is alternatively his baby, a pupil to his teacher and occasionally a football !
Also found it good to have something for girls to play with when I had friends children over.

My dad was the only one who thought it was strange.

Blackduck Wed 27-Jul-05 13:21:29

Said what I wanted to say WWB! I gave it to ds cos he showed interest and for no other reason...

Rubineski Wed 27-Jul-05 13:22:31

He has 'looked after' some of his soft toys - putting them to sleep under a toy blanket and that kind of thing.

One of my friends made a comment the other how her little girl has only got into Thomas the Tank Engine because she hangs around with other little girls. And something about her friend's son getting into dressing like a fairy because he spent time with girls.

i suppose it's all made me think a bit about how much is nature and how much nurture.

Rubineski Wed 27-Jul-05 13:23:55

Oops, should have been the girl hung round with boys, who got into thomas.
sorry, knackered!

motherinferior Wed 27-Jul-05 13:32:57

Oh, get him a doll, go on, with a little buggy. And especially, if he's not got one, a plastic teaset. Fabulous things, teasets. My nephews love theirs.

Fimbo Wed 27-Jul-05 13:33:18

There is a boy doll, like Baby Annabell - Baby Benjamin

Rubineski Wed 27-Jul-05 13:36:33

Ahhh, how cute! Thanks for this. I will think about buying it.

Yes, teasets - he loves his one so much that I've now bought a little picnic hamper with a teddy bear's teaset in it.

Buggy sounds a good idea too. And like someone said - it's always good for other children who come round.

thanks for all the suggestions.

edam Wed 27-Jul-05 13:53:06

Ds has a baby doll which he calls 'baby' (he's two, I'll let him off the lack of imagination) and got a pink toy buggy for his birthday. Loves pushing the buggy - whatever his current 'most prized possession is' gets stuck in the shopping basket, from birthday cake to play-doh and books... dh nearly didn't get him the buggy as the only one left was pink. But fellow shopper pointed out the doll is a girl so it made sense.

Ds also likes putting his doll and teddies to bed - insists it is done properly with a very neat blanket. And likes pretending to wipe baby's bum (very thoroughly).

I think he's just acting out stuff that's around him like pushing the buggy and changing nappies. He also has 'masculine' toys like a garage, cars and lorries and plays with either "boy" or "girl" toys as the mood takes him.

Blackduck Wed 27-Jul-05 13:54:48

Ds plays with a buggy at MIL's - loves it (I think they like pushing things at this age...). WIth 'baby doll' he loves naming all the bits of her body....

triceratops Wed 27-Jul-05 14:02:21

ds (3) has one which he occasionally rescues with his powerrangers. He has never babied it or pushed it in a pushchair, but he does say he wants to be a daddy when he grows up. They are useful for role play.

Skribble Thu 28-Jul-05 00:09:28

DS 8yrs had a doll when younger, still kidnaps his sisters dolls and dresses them in boys clothes. He seems more comfortable with teddies now and likes to buy outfits for them from charity shops.

He also sneaks his sister into his room dresses her in boys clothes and anounces he has a brother .

jabberwocky Thu 28-Jul-05 01:06:20

I got this one for ds!

Skribble Thu 28-Jul-05 01:12:50

That ones a bit scary, I like the einstein one.

jabberwocky Thu 28-Jul-05 01:14:12

Heehee, I know. She's got that unibrow thing going on...
We sit and read books with Frieda sometimes, but I haven't seen ds develop any particular attachment to her. This particular doll was chosen as a compromise for dh.

Skribble Thu 28-Jul-05 01:14:55

Excuse my ignorance but who was she?

jabberwocky Thu 28-Jul-05 01:18:27

She was a very colorful (no pun intended) Mexican painter in the early 1900's. Actually, I wouldn't have known either except that dh is an artist and we watched an artsy movie about her a while back.

Skribble Thu 28-Jul-05 01:21:32

Thanks for that I can drop that into conversations now and impress everyone .

jabberwocky Thu 28-Jul-05 01:23:10

Isn't MN the greatest?

BosworthBear Thu 28-Jul-05 08:20:35

My DS is just 2 and his sister is nearly 4. I'ne noticed that for about the last month once he is dressed he will go into her room and "look after" the dolls and get them out of the cot whilst she is getting ready. Will be off to the shops when he trys to take them into his room because I don't think that she will be that keen on sharing them permanently!!!

Blackduck Thu 28-Jul-05 08:50:51

I love the Buddha one!

frannyf Thu 28-Jul-05 11:00:34

Oh, do get a doll, you can get quite cheap but nice ones from the Co-op or similar. I found a small one dressed in blue for my son and he doesn't play with it loads, but it is sweet to watch him carrying it around and once even breastfeeding it (from his belly button!)

Rubineski Thu 28-Jul-05 12:23:55

Jabberwocky, thanks so much for directing me to this site! It is fabulous!!! I think DH will be torn between Marx and Che. There's loads of other great stuff to buy for friends too. THANK YOU!!!1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now