Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fun with science for young children?

(12 Posts)
OldieMum Tue 26-Jul-05 15:40:35

DD (2.6) has become interested in things like water boiling, condensing and freezing, why some things break more easily than others, etc. Can anyone suggest a book with some simple, fun things we could do together to explore how things like this work? I can think of some ideas, but I would like a bit of help.

okapi Tue 26-Jul-05 15:45:20

I don't know any books but for a day out he'd love to go here

we took out 3 and 6 yr olds at the weekend and they loved it

bundle Tue 26-Jul-05 15:48:45

what about the Planet Science website?

binkie Tue 26-Jul-05 15:55:54

bundle that's brilliant - am signing ds up at once.

OldieMum, in a garden centre we found a rather modest paperback called something like 101 Exciting Science Experiments - Australian publisher I think. It's at home and I'm at work but I'll dig it out and post the name later. I liked it because the experiments are fairly basic, it doesn't demand mounds of spin-off kit and it's good on explanations why.

OldieMum Tue 26-Jul-05 16:09:29

The website looks wonderful. Thanks so much!

OldieMum Tue 26-Jul-05 16:47:03

The Intech centre looks good, too. Binkie, I wouldl like the title to that book, if you can find it. Thanks to all.

Doddle Tue 26-Jul-05 16:52:18

There's a set here on the Book Peope site that DS1 really enjoys hands on science

Skribble Tue 26-Jul-05 23:14:30

Try Hawkin's Bazar for science kits and stuff like air ships and explosion sets

bundle Wed 27-Jul-05 10:51:01

(one of my friends is involved in running planet science, so pleased you like it )

NotQuiteCockney Wed 27-Jul-05 10:53:27

Someone bought DS1 a kit from M&S (of all places) of science activities. I don't remember what there was, DH did them with him, but they were very popular, fun and easy.

jennifersofia Wed 27-Jul-05 15:39:40

A really good book with basic experiments (like putting lots of salt in a glass with water to see how it makes an egg float, etc) that I use with my 4 yr old is called "Crafty Ideas from Science" by Myrna Daitz. Might be out of print, not sure. Title sounds rather naff, but is actually a good book.

binkie Wed 27-Jul-05 22:53:26

OldieMum, it's called "101 Cool Science Experiments, with Glen Singleton" which makes it sound like daytime TV. It is Australian, and Amazon don't, for once, seem to have it. Published by Hinkler Books.

But it is great: at random, there is an experiment to demonstrate tension fractures, with a piece of cheese.

<<Incidentally, I know what you mean about the LRB. But if you're not Of That World, as I'm not any more having sold out to commercial lawyering, it doesn't feel quite so log-rollering and back-stabbing as it must do from the inside.>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now